22.7.03

"Wow F, this sounds more like Chemlab than Chemlab!"

Unfortunately, Raw at the Staples Center didn’t happen last night, but after a Looooong weekend at the San Diego Comic Con, I need all the rest I can get. 70,000 people and half a million square feet of Comic Con over the course of 4 days can be very draining. Poor S.O. has to deal with a ton of new toys and such in the apt, but I made sure that some of my purchases were NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS related (it’s like her favorite film EVER).

For you genre film buffs, you may have read about a fan-film called BATMAN: DEAD END, which had quite possibly the biggest non-studio buzz at the Con. It was all over the net that this was the “best Batman film ever made” and that perennial fanboy demi-gods Kevin Smith and Alex Ross gave it their stamps of approval. A still leaked to the Internet looked just like Alex Ross’ interpretation of Batman. Naturally, my curiosity was piqued, so I set out to see this alleged “masterpiece”. Well, needless to say, it was quite the letdown, not because it’s bad, but because it is basically a costume/monster/fx reel for some commercial directors, not an actual three-act film. It’s like a student film with an unlimited budget. What they don’t mention is that it’s Batman vs. Aliens vs. Predator and an excuse to show-off the crew’s talents as a creature shop. I found it laughable, honestly, though the hundred plus fan boys and girls cheered as if Jesus had risen from the grave in front of them. Snooze. My suggestion is to buy the animated MYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN DVD later this year to get a good Bat-fix. However, if you want to see DEAD END, check it out at:

http://www.theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/batman_deadend/

Finally got around to start working on Hypefactor today. The process is slow and I don’t see it picking up in it’s pace, really. We’re writing some very complex stuff and the bulk of my time is sorting through the many different guitar and bass parts to see what works best together. It’s a fun process, especially when you have such a rich amount of material to choose from, but it’s certainly time consuming. Also, I don’t want to rush this one; I want to be able to make sure I deliver a solid first round of arrangements.

In other news, the latest (and almost last) round of Chem-mixes has come in from Cracknation. This was the biggest bulk of new mixes in quite some time, so there is quite a lot to absorb. What’s most interesting about these new mixes is how the crackteam has pushed the machine rock envelope to a new level. The record is very warm, but chock full of machine manipulation. It’s gotten into that weird twisted cyber territory…and I mean that in a good way. Jared is flying into Chicago this week to wrap it up with the boys. I, however, will remain in LA before heading back to NYC next week, which is smart anyways, as too many cooks in the kitchen at such a crucial point could be counter-productive and quite honestly, based on what I have heard so far, I don’t think I could add much as they seem to have it nailed.

For the record, I played a recent rough version of the album for my lawyer/agent/advisor who back in the day was an advisor and trusted confidant of the lab and she was blown away by Oxidizer’s “chemlab-ness”. This is a huge vote of confidence, cause if it sucked, or didn’t sound like Chemlab, she would be the first to tell us.

Cerati in 2 days. Too good.

F

No comments: