6.7.03

Exist!

Day 2 of the new Hypefactor sessions were again productive and successful. The rocker I mentioned yesterday has developed nicely. It now has a hard chorus and some sweet wah wah guitars. Upon reviewing the material so far, which is now up to 5 songs worth, I'm noticing a Joy Division undertone to it. Not in an obvious way, like say, with Interpol, but more in modern context. At the end of the day, we pinpointed what additions are going to be needed for these songs, and that is mostly some guitar work. Once that is done, hopefully before my next LA jaunt this month, I will then take the songs and begin arranging. While thinking ahead, I realize that we need to quicken the pace with the second batch of songs. I want it to move a bit faster in places. But this is all embryonic, but the melodies are strong and so far it's a real big step forward. It was fun just sitting there reading NME while saying "yes" or "no" to potential drum loops. Rough, innit?

I am sickened by the news reports of terrorism at a rock festival in Moscow. I think it's no secret that MOGpac is very pro-Russia and the thought of such violence in that part of the world, especially after having just played there, effects all of us. The fact that this was an act of violence against kids at a rock concert makes this even worse.

The day ended with G and I checking out TERMINATOR 3. I was shocked at how intentionally goofy it was. Arnold is given tons of one-liners, and most are quite funny, but it takes you right out of the drama. Its hard to take seriously. It's also Cameron By Numbers. It's entertaining, but it doesn't really add anything new to that universe. The Birdinator (as I call her), is just a normal hot blonde. Nothing special, so you never accept her as a threat. I see birds like this in LA all the time. When they introduced Robert Patrick in T2, he was unusual looking and you never saw these FX before. Now its just some actress and the same FX. They needed to find an otherworldly knockout who looks like no one else, sorta like Angelina Jolie when you first saw her. The one positive was that the guy who plays John Connor, who I believe is Nick Stahl, is a million times better than that crackhead Ed Furlong, who I doubt could have carried this movie the way Stahl does. The movie was fun for sure, but Cameron ain't losing any sleep.

Though I am. Back to the Lab tomorrow. I think.

F

No comments: