25.7.03

Always is NOW

It’s no secret that I have a tendency to exaggerate a bit, hence the origin of the name Hypefactor (though that’s for another time). However, I am not exaggerating when I write that the seeing the Gustavo Cerati gig here in LA last night was a life changing experience. Lv23 (who redefines DANCE FEVER), Bradley J. Fox and I were all were blown away.

I wont get too deep into it, but quite frankly, the man is a genius. He has an uncanny ability to write incredible and emotional songs that perfectly marry modern electronics to rock instruments and pop structure. It was a flawless 2-hour performance .The Palace here in LA has a REALLY large stage, so Cerati was able to take full advantage of the space. He was enthusiastic and animated and seemed to genuinely enjoy himself. He is such a thrilling musician to watch and is an incredible guitarist. You can’t help but be drawn in. He’s retained most of his excellent band of young musicians from the last tour (including his multi-talented sidekick, Falvius) and they were incredibly tight . Together, they were able to push the current songs to new heights while redefining the old songs to fit the current Cerati sound. It also helps to have a very young and hot back up singer (who I’m told is Cerati’s MUCH younger girlfriend…brilliant) to make sure the lads pay attention. It’s also the first time I have seen a drummer almost as incredible as mine. Everything about this show was first class and the music, as always, was inspiring. These guys are used to playing arenas in other parts of the world, and the entire presentation and dedication to perfection reflects that. Lv23 went to soundcheck and confirmed our belief that Cerati is a TYRANT when it comes to making everything sound perfect. He even went up to the soundbooth to mix certain things himself when he was unhappy with the mix.

Unfortunately, there is one thing that Ash will hate in the set, and I intend to ask him to get me a drink or something at Webster hall next week when I know this particular song is about to start.

For someone who has been in the business over 20 years, Gustavo Cerati continues to evolve and in my eyes, can do no wrong. In the same way seeing Revenge in 1989, the Sisters in 1991 and Ministry in 1992 effected me so significantly at 20, Gustavo Cerati defines the musical path I choose to make in at 30.

In other news, Oxidizer has taken an interesting turn and might possible have a last minute guest appearance. I don’t know if I necessarily agree with this move, but we have to see how it plays out. Jared might be in Chicago by the time you read this sorting through everything. When talking to the producer today, I complimented him on the programming in a song called SCORNOCOPIA, a song I thought I had nothing to do with the writing of. He then informed me that it was I who did the programming that started the song and the melody was mine. This instance of me forgetting something like that is not an isolated incident. This happened I think on the first HF CD as well. I would walk into the studio and say “man, I love that, good job!” and then be told I did the part a week before. Do I have musical Alzheimers? Shit!

F

P.S. I wish I had seen Dave Gahan in NYC just to have something new to argue about with your Saintface Comrades ;-)

No comments: