21.7.03

My night with Saintface...

My "lovely underage girlfriend" and I were the sole MOGpackers to represent the most recent Saintface show on Saturday day night. The gig was held in what used to be known as the "the Cooler" on 14th btw 9th and Washington (sidenote: my only memory of the Cooler was an AFI gig I was supposed to see there in November, 1999. I was so anxious for that show as it would have been the first time in two years that i had seen them. Unfortunately, I never made it to the show. I had gone home after work and was halfway out my door when I received a phone call from then recent ex-gf, who since is being referred to as "the hussy". She started a fight and held me up just long enough to have to miss the show. I then had to resort to seeing AFI the following night in SUFFOLK COUNTY at a biker bar. That's a whole other story. But upon seeing how small and nicely set up the COoler is, I was angered all over again...feeling 21 again...something that my lovely companion cannot claim.). The space is set up in a very cool way. Decent size stage that is rather low to the ground, couches and stools in the actual performance area; a separate bar area (yes Frank, they had Stella); and a totally separate lounge type area. Very cool space.

My companion and I got to the venue at 11.30, just to time to catch the last two songs of the final support act, The New Years. I have to say - I liked them. Their look definitely needs polishing (bass player was sporting a sleeveless t (surfer style) and an eyebrow ring), but the sound was pretty good - hipster rock with more of an edge and even the occasional post-hardcore drone. I look forward to checking them out again.

For the main event, Peter Saintface made sure he wouldn't remember it. Aside from that the band was tight playing mostly new tracks probably heard at the Mercury Lounge gig a few weeks back (by the by - they're back there in August - on a Saturday night. Well done!), and included one entirely new "under-rehearsed" track. I wish I could describe it for you but I'm too tried. The set overall was very good eventhough I don't get to hear my faves from back in the '00.

One lighter point of the evening: two Poontang girls made an appearance along with some Dutch dude who was there to have "fun!". No names, but when Peter sang a few words and pointed to one IP gal, she swooned hardcore. When the same happened to me, I felt overwhelmed with wanderlust.

Dave Gahan on Wednesday night. Looking forward. Scary thing about this show: I checked ticketbastard.com this morning and tix were still available on the floor of the Hammerstein!!! Crazy, but he apparently plays some fun stuff, so I am excited.

"til the end"
M.

No comments: