11.7.03

Funky Funky Funky ASH

Well the guest stars SHINED last night, even though Ash forced us to record in the dark.

Ash, of course, comes armed to the hilt with gear and Robin shows up being Robin, so you know it's going to be a fun evening. My only demand as "boss" is that we lay down Robin's fingerpicking piece that I have been in love with. Other than that, it's free reign for anyone to do whatever they want. Ash JUMPS for the bass guitar. I'm not kidding when I say JUMP.

So you put all these rockers in a room and what do you get? Soundtrack music!! moody, atmospheric soundtrack music.

We wrote two songs, both of which sound like music for film, something I have been aching to do for sometime, but never really pursued. Ash's current obession is the bass guitar and his attention to it SHOWS, as he lends a unique rythmn to the material, which leaves me free to indulge in my Peter Hook fantasies, but at a new and subdued level. Robin is a master of the acoustic. Her fingerpicking piece, now titled "They've Just...", is excellent. Brandt and I stared at each other a few times, knowing that we had something, new, special, different and excellent to add to HF2. When Ash is telling me to record strings, you know we're on a roll. I forgot how fun it was to sit in a room with a bunch of friends and just create music. And it helps that the music is amazing!

Hopefully, this will be JUST the first round with these two...

Chemlab artwork is rolling in and is MASSIVE. Like an idiot I first hated the cover image, wrote Jared to say so, and then an hour later I was in love with it and feeling like an idiot. Anyway, it fits the album perfectly and the guy doing this, Mike, at Burnlab is solid. The contributor to this album and the fan in me both now want this album DONE so I can just hold it and play it for my friends. I'm dying to give a copy of the Chemlab to the kidd and yes, even Mark Mohtashemi.

F

PS: Big ups to the Great Grendali for his hard earned SMACKDOWN 2 Ladder Match victory of the The Legend yesterday. It will go down in history as one of the all time great matches!

No comments: