8.7.03

The Electro Bull Durham Blues

In between the new Hypefactor sessions (and until the new aggression remixes come in), my musical attention turns to Chemlab. Granted, my role at this point is cheerleader (and sounding board for Jared), but the focus is still on the music and giving my input towards making this the best possible Chemlab is a major priority. Being asked to work on this album has been like getting called up to the Majors after being in the Minor Leagues for a decade. Like Bull Durham (maybe). So I feel some pressure and I know, as my S.O. will attest, that this pressure is totally self-inflicted.

The newest round of Chem-mixes came my way today and the progress is shockingly good. I’m so impressed by what is coming out of Chicago. The Cracknation crew, as producers, have really stepped up to what could be their best produced album to date (The last ILC record being my favorite thus far). As a musician who has written and performed on the record, I am happy with the results. Also, I am satisfied that these songs and sutures appeal to the massive Chemlab fan I have been for most of my adult life.

Chemlab has a unique fanbase, and my concern is that regardless of how good the album is (and it’s REALLLLLLY good), the “kids” (as we call them) will still find fault with it because certain people are not involved or it doesn’t sound like 1994, etc. I’m shocked sometimes how hardcore fans of bands cannot accept musical evolution. I like evolution. I’m one of those people who likes Depeche Mode’s SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION more than MUSIC FOR THE MASSES and U2’s ACHTUNG BABY more than THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE (Robin will kill me for saying that). Growth is fun when it works like it did with those two Flood-Produced albums. Love and Rockets went dance, and went crap. The open-minded will love the new Chemlab. The fools stuck in 1994 can never ever be pleased.

F

No comments: