28.2.05

"The Monkey Came Through"

So I went to a gig the other night. It was at a crap venue. It took forever to get in. It took even longer to get a drink. We were packed like sardines. The band was forced to play early. They had tons of technical problems. The constantly had to stop and restart songs. The singer was totally pissed off at the monitor guy. He sang so insanely out of tune that they would again have to stop and restart. And even when they were in tune, he still sang out of tune. Yet, somehow, in some way, this was an amazing gig, and we had a wonderful time; SO good in fact, that certain songs brought Dan Hamill to tears. Who has the power to have such an effect over us? Who could be that incredible that an audience would look over all the bullshit listed above and not only tolerate it, but only become more supportive? Just as Liam Gallagher once "whispered" into the ear of Fuss Poontang one night at 3 of Cups, I tell you now, this man is IAN BROWN.

Shuffling around the stage like a featherweight boxer, King Monkey came to Webster Hall the other night to show us the kids how it's done. This man is not blessed with the best voice in the world, but he has the charisma of a small diety and he just comes across as the real deal. No pretention, no bullshit. He also has a good band, I believe, but you know these assholes at Webster Hall rushed this gig so they could get the Bridge, Tunnel and Suffolk trash with disposable incomes into their club for their regular Saturday night asshole convention. And the gig suffered for that. Or did it? Did all the tech problems make this a better night? Did it heighten the drama of seeing this legend overcome the difficulties of a shit venue? I believe so. And while he sang out of tune, he meant it so much that you didn't care. As Irene stood in shock (next to Dorg Poontang, who was consumed by lust for King Monkey), she turned to me and said "I should be hating this, but I can't. It's impossible"

I would also like to note that Ian Brown engaged in what i call P.U.H, which stands for PROPER USE of HOP. He wore his Hop (aka parka style jacket) like a fucking man and even better put it on halfway into the gig. Huge Points.

And to my right stood Dan Hamill, the man who I saw the Stone Roses with back in the day (and coined the title of this entry), weeping over the fact that half of this set was going to be filled with Roses classics. He was not alone. I have to admit hearing the bassline to I WANNA BE ADORED was moving as fuck. The venue was filled with Expats who probably saw the Roses before Danny and I did. If you were the right age, and luckily Danny and I were, the Roses mean something beyond anything you can imagine. It's probably how kids a bit younger than us felt about Nirvana. Let me also add here that Ian Brown's recent solo stuff is fucking amazing as well. It's very diverse, very not Roses, but perhaps it's more appealing because he doesn't try to replicate the past. I was excited to hear songs like F.E.A.R. and KEEP WHAT YA GOT live for the first time.

But the Roses are beyond mythic, and as discussed in previous entries, as long as Ian Brown continues and throws some Roses into the set, I don't see the need to get the band back together. Ever. Don't. I'd accept the Smiths before I'd accept the Roses, and that ain't happening either.

John Squire: Brilliant musician. Control freak. Perfectionist. Asshole.

Ian Brown: Hero who makes grown men weep.

Do the math.

Anyhow, post-gig saw his hit Ave C to visit Ash for his 28th birthday celebration. It's always good to see Ash socially, something thats all too rare, and even nicer to see Charles, who I see even less of these days. Of course the significant others get pissy about us talking about the bands too much, but hey, we are who we are. It was a good time. Ash travels in some serious circles. Not only did he have the Hypefactor all stars there, but he had a genuine record PRODUCER in our midst as well. Hot. Producers are tough creatures though, they leave early and don't return E-mails. But I guess I'm one to talk as i don't return phone calls to people who are two blocks away and can't be arsed to see their mates. While certain members of the MOGpac were missed, quite possible wrapped up in their own OC style dramas, this was a solid evening overall.

I'm not getting into the Oscars. I can't. I'll tell you about the New Order album this week. Hopefully.

F

2 comments:

fuss said...

Why is whispered in quotes? That shit really happened, unfortunately it was five years too late. And 'til this day "Fools Gold" remains one of only two Roses songs I know. If only he had taken me back his hotel and played me selected hits instead of having a baby with a fucking Appleton.

Love this review though. I am downloading "I Wanna Be Adored" right now.

F.J. said...

Oi, Fuss, I put "Whispered" cause I thought he actually yelled it in your ear...please set the story straight.