19.2.05

Hang the DJ

As you can see from a few of the below posts, I was the "celebrity" DJ last night for Dorg, Liz and Brandt's 3 way Birthday bash at Lucky Jacks. I use the word DJ very loosely, as it was just me and my laptop picking songs to play. No crossfading, no beat matching, or other gay shit (I say that just to provoke Ash, of course). I think it went really well and boy did the time fly! Later, they even pumped what I was spinning to the upstairs main bar, which I took as a compliment. I started at 9 and finished at 3am and I felt like I was just getting started. It was a lot of fun and a very interesting experience for me. Just like when playing with a a band, I tried hard to gague the vibe of the room and spin accordingly, and I took a few requests, mostly from the Birthday kids. I normally would not play Ministry's SO WHAT in a small room, but Liz was insisting she hear it, so I was forced to play the only version I had: a 10 minute live bootleg from 2003 with Connelly on vocals. Aces. Though I would like to DJ in a booth next time so certain hipster jackasses don't have to hover over my shoulder asking 'where's the hip hop" and I wouldn't have to be restrained from smacking a woman who has asked for some Stevie Wonder or "something happy" while The Sisters of Mercy are playing.

While I was sad irene was home with a sinus infection (and STILL laid out), I was happy to be surrounded by G, Kidd, Lurch, Matt and Murrah (who, we learned, has very weak taste buds...or so his new pick up line says). We had drinks, had fun, and when the Birthday kids are dancing to The Sweetest Soul at 3am as I closed the set, I think I can say a good time was had by all. It was nice to see old friends like Frances and Bing, see newer friends like the super fine Ms. Kathie Rose, and meet some new faces. Also, seeing The Lads drunkenly sing to Robbie Williams was a treat.

Anyhow, should you need a DJ, I'm available. I now have references ;-)

F

5 comments:

ashley said...

So sorry I missed it. I was Thom's stunt double for his role as Martyr...

Anonymous said...

Best. Dj. Ever. I remember nothing of most of the night EXCEPT for dancing my heart out to the Sweetest Soul with birthday Brandt. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

That was me. D'orge.

Anonymous said...

Franq, thanqs so much for bringing the Ghey, specifically the 10 minute So What. You were the perfet DJ.

F.J. said...

Or Murray