25.2.05

The Ballad of Vinny and Sean (aka UNHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH UH UH UH UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)


spinninggallo
Originally uploaded by Hypefactor.
I have many heroes. We all should. But one of my true New York heroes, and he'll be the first to tell you (as he has clothing proclaiming that), is Mr. Vincent Gallo. Possibly considered by you to be a lunatic half ass who got some hipster actress (one of my neighbors actually) to blow him on film, but considered by G and I to be a genius who's every artistic venture (i.e. music, film, painting, writing, etc) needs to be closely watched.

Upon meeting him several years ago, we found, despite his public image, he was an intelligent, sweet and charming guy. To a degree, we were possibly disappointed in a way as I think we wanted him to berate us as he did Christina Ricci in BUFFALO 66. In fact, Dan Hamill couldnt bring himself to ask his prepared question: "Is Angelica Houston a cunt?" because Gallo was THAT nice. However, I guess it's better than him being a dick to us. Also, he's been seen with the Bush twins and Asia Argento. Score.

Anyhow, Gallo is constantly seen around town by myself and others (usually the ladies of Internationalpoontang.com, who travel in hipster circles), and is a constant topic of discussion. However, he is a staple of our current New York, someone, like Lou Reed, who defines our wonderful city. Someone we need. One of our own. Possibly like Murray, but with stronger tastebuds.

Gallo's music is something we also love. His album, WHEN is a minor triumph simply because you don't expect it to be anything of quality coming from an actor, yet when it's over, you're not surprised that this genius could do this. Ash even likes it and I believe it partially inspired Ass Cobra.

Anyhow, I missed his performances last summer cause Irene and I were in Europe, so when Lurch called me in LA to tell me Gallo was performing at the soon to be possibly defunct Tonic, here in NYC, alongside frequent jam-partnet Sean Lennon, I was determined to go. While I'm shocked Lurch didn't go, I am happy that Dan Hamill, who you know as G, purchased me a ticket. And during a heavy snowfall last night, G and I went...

Simply put, after waiting an hour for them to soundcheck, thus giving us room to see Claire Danes hugging ex-boyfriend Ben Lee, who played earlier ("Great gig, I'm going home to Crudip now, bitch), The main room filled up with Yoko herself in the front row (seated by the extremely polite Gallo, who loves Yoko like a mom), and the Sean and Vinny show began.

And it was really good!! Using old rythmn boxes, vintage guitars and amps, and organ and a drum kit, the two went through a short but full set of songs that covered some of Gallo's solo stuff, some of Sean's and some collaborations in between. They were funny and earnest and I really enjoyed it. Honestly, G and I had to keep from cracking up too loudly during a few points. I particularly enjoyed Sean's excuse for their starting late: "Vinny's imported Italian shoes hadn't arrived from Fed Ex yet". Gallo, nervous and childlike at times, also had a few good lines. Gallo is a good musician, but Lennon is really good and was able to display a lot of skills on a lot of different instruments.

Anyhow, for the final song of the set, as you see to the side here, they brought up some scantily clad girlchild to spin slowly around in a circle (i.e. Gallo's various music videos, like HONEY BUNNY). of course G and I again had to contain ourselves from laughing too hard. God forbid I laugh in the fro of Strokes "guitarist" Albert Hammond JUNIOR (who's fro you can see just below the girl in the photo).

Anyhow, that was it. A nice end to a nice gig. But then the audience wanted more. And they asked nice, so Vinny and Sean decided to send everyone off with a 10 minute improv jam with special guest "vocalist" Yoko Ono. Boy did this start off good and then go straight to hell when she started "singing", or should I say "yodelling". I don't know what the fuck she was doing. She was humping the air, screaming about courage and rage or something and talking about burning things. And my GOD were G and I nudging each other trying to get the other to laugh. Sadly, I cracked, repeatedly and actually pretended to drink beer from an empty bottle just to keep myself from laughing. This is no a big venue either. As is normally the case, I would have paid money to see Ash watch this gig cause he would have loved it until the point Yoko "sings". He would have freaked the fuck out. Dan Hamill described it best as: "like someone doing a really bad rip off of the Albrect Go's" (please go to www.theaggression.com to understand what the fuck he just said).

Anyway, John Lennon, up above, forgive me, but this was just flat out silly. But you have a talented son. Really.

And through this, Gallo still remains a hero. Someday, I'll tell you the story about how I watched him abuse a bag of potato chips on the corner of Laguardia and Houston. Someday.

F

No comments: