4.2.05

Freetime

Leave it to the always awesome Hooky to make me laugh out loud;

"Anyway, my big problem has always been what to do when the band isn't working. The first singer dies and the next singer won't play live. At the moment I'm doing a thing with Mani [Primal Scream/Stone Roses] and Andy Rourke, whom Morrissey fired from the Smiths with a Post-It on his windscreen. We're calling ourselves Freebass 'cos they're songs with three basses. Mani's got the same problem as me in that Primal Scream don't play live enough, so he got me into DJing. We did this one in Barcelona. He was trolleyed and scratching the records. I was going, "Mani, the record's not on!" The punters were complaining and he was throwing records at them. It's a poor substitute for gigging and I can't imagine why someone would go to a club and have someone aged 49 playing records but it keeps me young and it's a good laugh."

With broken computers, no live shows, and a DJ slot forthcoming, I relate to all of this in ways I didn't even realize...

F

No comments: