22.9.03

One.Nine.Five.Six.

I'm saddened to read reports that 16 Volt have called it a day. Once upon a time, it seemed as though Eric and co. we're going to be the break out stars of that scene we were all once a part of. The Kidd, Mark Mohtashemi and I were big fans of this band, especially during their Skin/LetDownCrush era, which I think many feel was their peak. Those two records are classics and really had a unique sound and feel to it. During this period, Eric did an awesome remix for us of CROSS, which is on our second CD. Later, they assembled what I felt was going to be the "dream team" with Krayge Tyler, Mike Peoples, and Servo, and while it kicked ass live, I felt Supercoolnothing was a bit of a let down (no pun intended. While I loved the songs, I felt it was too metal for my taste, though i find myself going back to it every now and then.

I don't know the circumstances of thier break up, but I know they had recorded new material via a demo deal with Capitol or some major, which I can only assume fell through. Also, Jason was telling me how he had been talking to Eric about an Acumen/16v double bill. I guess that's off, but it could have made for a hell of a swan song. Now I double regret our showing up too late to see them in LA last month.

I think 16V had a few more good albums in them. Perhaps later down the line they can bring it back. In the meantime, I hope this doesn't stop Eric Powell from continuing to make music. He's an extremely talented dude.

In the meantime, about a year or so ago, the aggression began demo'ing songs for what might have been their next CD. the material was quite good, but debate ensued as to weather or not these were aggression songs and they are currently in "limbo". A song or two from the "Fernwood Terrace" sessions will probably end up on the Ass Cobra album, but one of those songs, titled 1956 will now be appearing on the Hypefactor record. I'm REALLY excited about this track, which is very Primal Scream, and appreciate Ash signing off on it. We'll work on it tomorrow night.

F

No comments: