29.9.03

Morning Sci-Fi

Early AM call at the studio yesterday for us to review Robin's guitar parts from earlier in the week and alter NEW SONG to fit those parts accordingly. Quite happy with the track and it's new rockier vibe. Also went over my newer chorus basslines for EXIST, which I'm not as happy with, mostly because they conflict with the hook-bass I had previously written. The Hook-basslines are better and have to stay. Not sure what I'm going to do here yet, but one I idea I have tossed around is having Ash play bass over this part for a different feel. That might do the trick.

Then we settled down to handle basslines for 1956. Tough track and because its faster and rockier than most of what we have been doing, it took a long time for me to get the right feel for it. Also, this record is going to be as "live" as possible, meaning, we're trying to get the human element of having someone play consistantly over a song as opposed to taking a measure and cutting and pasting repeatedly. To get into the feel of the track, we put on some Primal Scream tracks that i would play along to. Once we felt I had the Mani vibe cooking, I got to work. The song is in three diverse parts, one is the very hard , the other is a synthy dance section (the verse) and the last is is a melodic string part (the chorus). So I had to play three different basslines that encompassed three different moods. I think what we got down works and should set the tune in motion. It's hot, rocky, and dirty. As everything should be.

We've started scouring through books and such for art inspiration. I'm going to be doing the art on this one so we're are throwing some ideas around. I want to do a photo session with everyone to get that vibe. Maybe this can happen tomorrow night if we can get everyone together. I'm thinking Anton Corbjin, but I always think that. I just need some photos to get the ideas flowing.

Besides playing the new Hybrid album non-stop (and not just the tracks with Peter Hook on them) I am really into the new UNKLE album, which is quite good and features a Stone Roses reunion of sorts with Ian Brown and Mani on the same track. Also digging the Manics for some reason this week. Over the next month or so we should be checking out some great gigs including: Spiritualized, Death Cab For Cutie, Twilight Singers and of course, Saintface. We're going to see the MAN Izzard on the 11th. HAPPY DAYS.

As for Chemlab, I am at a loss and have no idea what is going on. Frustrating!

F

No comments: