15.1.05

Razorfight!

A gang of us, including the long-missed Ash, got together the other night to check out Razorlight at the Bowery Ballroom. I've gone on in previous entries how much I like this band and how I think frontman/guitarist/songwriter Johnny Borrell, is a really important new talent in British rock. Much to Peter Saintface's anti NME chagrin I'm sure, Borrell is a good, funny and cocky interview. Thus expectations were high, especially in light on their metoric rise across the pond (far moreso than our beloved Kasabian).

I am the first to admit that the first couple of songs, I felt something was off. I'm not sure what it was, maybe it was just me. But I later learned that Ash felt the same way. The band were playing very well, though the sound seemed a bit muted to me. And then suddenly, about 3 songs in, it got good. REALLY good. What impressed me the most was that Borrell's vocals live are much stronger than on record. Irene thinks he could be a great blues singer one day. He's a great frontman, he's into it, he feels it and you feel it with him. His band is also very good. They're raw, sharp and have a great deal of energy. What was surprising (and this is where what I call the Razorfight begins) was how they would often go off into jams and expand on the current songs from UP ALL NIGHT. Brandt, who is a BIG soul fan (all of a sudden), hated this. I don't get why, I don't feel like asking, because I enjoyed the gig way too much. New songs, such as the upcoming single FIT THE RIGHT PROFILE, show that this guy is growing as a songwriter. All and all, we got our money's worth and it's nice to see bands that you read about actually living up to the press they're getting. Like Kasabian, they deserve to be huge, though who the hell knows what kind of impact they will make here in the states (and who the fuck would want that in this day and age anyway?). Anyway, I'm sure Brandt will post something about why he hated this gig, but I don't see how. Despite my tired and crankitude, we had a few nice drinks at Lucky Jacks post gig with B and Three of the Ladies of Poon. Killer.

In other news, before the gig, Ash spun us a new Ass Cobra song that has some long ass title that starts with "Ah, You were thinking.." or something. It's fucking phenomenal and goes to show that boiled down to its core, the Cobra's can kick it big time. Like their previous new song DRIVER'S SIDE, their diversity is emerging and I for one, am very excited. Without distractions, restrictions or poorly tuned guitars holding them back, I think that the Cobra THREE can make music beyond anything they are currently thinking of. Once they get the right vocalist they're gonna be my favourite band even more so. I have massive love for the music, especially the new material.

F

No comments: