21.1.05

Dead Roses

Read this and come back:

http://www.nme.com/news/111127.htm

Did you read it? OK. I could do 20 pages on the impact of the Stone Roses on me and British music in general. Simply put, without the Roses, we'd have nothing. Flat out nothing. I will speak of many bands on this blog, but very few, if any, will touch the Roses. They were one of the bands that were truly a myth, and deservedly so. Untouchable. Incredible. But sadly, not indestructible. Dan Hamill and I saw them the ONLY time they ever played New York (this was post Reni, but you take what you can get), and they completely lived up to it. But this isn't the point.

Here IS the point: I don't ever want to see The Stone Roses reform. Bury it. Let it die. Let me enjoy the Ian Brown gig next month and his solo album. Let me mark out every time I see Mani step onstage with the Primals and make them the band they probably never should have been. Let me ponder the mysterious Reni and his alleged genius, and above all, let me hate John Squire, not because he's the douche that broke up the Roses, but because Ian Brown is right: John Squire broke the band up for nothing. Oh yes, he has albums, they are fucking terrible, and The Seahorses, in retrospect, were a joke (Dan Hamill and I saw them the ONLY time they ever played New Yotk).

Squire's recent comments in Q, which has triggered this recent round of the former Roses trading insults, are totally unjust. Squire comes across as the snobby asshole I guess he always was. I would think one should shut the fuck up and respect the legacy one has on this planet. The following is my prescription for Mr. Squire's troubles. Buy a guitarists dictionary. Look up the word "class". Find the picture of Johnny Marr next to the word and then read how to be a guitar hero. Douche.

Anyhow, Ian Brown plays arenas. John Squire does nothing. Never reform please. Thanks.

F

2 comments:

mjg. said...

actually, in the dictionary i'm looking at, Johnny Marr's picture is next to the definition of "parody"...

F.J. said...

Actually, thats the old edition. I understand the pot is slowing you down and you miss these things, like you did the Chuck reference, but the current edition has a photo of a former guitarist who is initials are NOT M.M. next to the word "parody". Yay, Uncle Kieran!