8.12.04

Return to the Alcoholic Playground

Took a trip to the East Village the other night, obviously without Peter Saintface, and proceeded to inadvertantly drink myself silly. I started out with Irene and the Ladies of Internationalpoontang checking out some music that included the worst guitar player I have ever had the misfortune to witness. I can't name names simply to protect people i DO like, but there are people I DO NOT like who have completely justified my dislike of them personally by not being able to back up their musical boasts. When your bandmates apologizing for your total lack of talent all night, you have a fucking problem. And you wonder why certain GREAT bands, see above, wouldn't hire you.

Anyhow, after drinks with the ladies, it was time for the lads as I met up first with Ash and the legendary R.J. at One and One for a few drinks, before catching up with Brandt and seeing the very cool band known as Out Hud perform at the Mercury Lounge (sans R.J. who was ticketless, though I did try to get him in with some smooth talking which I guess wasnt smooth enough). They were very 90's but very good, but they, like the other band I recently saw that is going unnamed, have a member who's stage presence is so atrocious that it hurt the gig for me quite a bit. Not good. However, I like Out Hud and would see them again. Gotta grab some of their stuff.

Then poor Ash and Brandt, like G and the Kidd did post-Han a few weeks back, had spend the rest of the night into the next morning in the pub listening to me pontificate about life, music and lives in music. I used to be a melodramatic drunk, occasionally a really gay drunk, and occasionally a very pissy drunk (dont put me near Jag, ask Ash and Dulli), but in my more content later years, I slip into some old wizard mode and try to be some Obi Wan type, dispensing information and advice (good or bad I have no idea), to my younger mates like it is candy. Since I have spoken or socialized with all four mates since their time with me at the pub, I think all is well!

Tidbits;

*Just saw HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS again so Irene could check it out. She lost her shit and now hates Andy Lau, who until tonight might have been her favourite HK movie star. I think thats a sign he acted quite well. The movie is just as good the second time. Give Zang her Oscar!

*Speaking of Andy Lau, I just watched him again in Johnny To's new romantic Tragicomedy YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, which is about the reconcilliation between a divorced couple who used to be thieves. Cute stuff, not the director's best, but again a clever concept. It's just not as good as this years other Johnny To movies: BREAKING NEWS and the uplifting THROWDOWN, which is in my top 5 this year.

*A potential Top 5'er, OCEANS 12, is out this week complete with trailers for both BATMAN BEGINS and CONSTANTINE, both of which I have a personal attachment to.

*However, the trailer to my THIRD most anticipated movie of 2005, THE WEDDING CRASHERS, has hit the net. Seek it out, it has classic written all over it.

*The Durans are playing the fucking GARDEN in April. Mission Accomplished, lads.

*I am having trouble bringing myself to see CLOSER, but thats for reasons of me being hesitant of seeing certain acquiantences sans clothing in some way shape or form when you feel that they are still 12 years old.

*The Lab is about to go operational in the next week. Think Spring, is what I have been told.

*The long discussed MOGX has suddenly again gained momentum.

*Dan Hamill, would i would never allow to touch me physically, has touched me emotionally with a recent E-mail. Revealed soon!

Meanwhile, everyone introduce our newest studio addition: SERGE THE SUMMER DOG, a very young and energetic Huskie who very handsome and locks its owner out of the apartment, thus forcing him to call yours truly to come down with keys. Moveltov, Papa Summer Man. However, I hope this causes no delays with the record!

F

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the screen stills I've seen, it looks like it's all body double, Franq, so her virtue may still be intact. Poon is checking Closer out tonight. Will let you know.
D'orge

F.J. said...

Dorg, I've done my homeworka and contacted the proper people who would know such things and no body doubles were used, thus enhancing my reluctance. I sound quite gay, I know, but...

Anonymous said...

Franq - warning - do not look at this link if you don't want to see stripping pics: http://www.deansplanet.com/natalie_portman-thong.html
Please note you can't see her face in any of those pole dancing shots. I have to say: body double.

F.J. said...

I just confirmed it. No Body Double

F

Anonymous said...

You're right. Saw the movie. They showed her face and body at the same time. Somehow she managed to look totally unsleazy and cute even while in a thong. She really is adorable. Great movie, too.
D