12.12.04

Hang The DJ!

It was another long and poo-filled day (thanks to the Summer Dog) of editing loops at the Birdcage. While I commanded the main computer to tighten the loops to CREATION PHASE, Brandt, with an assist from RJ of Westchester, was able to install Live into my computer so I can cut the workload in half. Today, I'll be back to load the loops and various sound files into my own computer so i can work this week on wrapping all these loops up. I plan to be working day AND night on these. Meanwhile, I still have a remix to finish and another non-HF project that's about to start, plus MOG-X. The Dance Card is crazy full and I'm starting to lose a little sleep over these things...

The evening was spent in midtown last night where ASH took to the DJ booth for the first time in ages. The last two times I can remember him DJ'ing were at Detour as a lead up to an aggression show there and then before than in the loft in my old Apartment on New Years. FYI, when midnight stuck, he played the Star Wars theme. Aces. I still don't know how we got away with a full PA in that apartment. But anyhow, Ash spun a really impressive set that encompassed his diverse musical interests. While he played stuff that he personally likes, he never aliented the audience (which I would probably do. Kasabian B-sides can only go so far). Besides bookending the set with his own electronic material, he was able to give an exlcusive preview of the MOGpac's 2005 musical output by including material not only from his projects Ass Cobra and Carbon Framework, but from a certain band you've read about on here called Hypefactor. It was great hearing THEME FROM J BAR from the first CD early in the set and then later, Ash added demos of LENINGRAD and THEME FROM PROPAGANDA to the set. It was a treat and knowing that Ash had chosen those songs for his first DJ set in ages was a honour. His set was very indie early on and then developed into mostly electronic stuff as it progressed (it was an electronic music night, so he worked his way to the point). You'll want to hire this man for your next art fag party! Anyhow, it was a good time and seeing Mattagement and Chazz only made it better.

The previous evening saw us checking out OCEANS 12. It's no secret that I consider OCEANS 11 (the Clooney Version) a minor modern classic of breezy harmless filmmaking that only got better with repeated viewing. OCEANS 12, while not a classic, is a worthy successor that was again fun and harmless and good for some laughs. There are some GREAT cameos (Topher Grace, who I think is going to be big start, maybe Tom Hanks size, was again hilarious) and since Julia was with children when making the movie, the eye candy falls on the Zeta-Jones, who is keeping it real. Also keeping it mad mantasy style was Vincent Cassell who was fucking awesome in this. I don't think I had ever seen him speak in English, but the man is Charisma times 100 and within 30 seconds of him being on screen you knew why the Belluci would make a baby with this man. I would too, if it were possible. Anyhow.

And in the "BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER" Department: Dan Hamill sets the stakes high this year by presenting Irene and I tickets for Ian Brown live at Webster Hall in February! DANG!

F

No comments: