12.10.03

"Maybe it is I who is penetrating YOU!"

So Mr. G and I reunited to see KILL BILL yesterday. While I think I liked what I watched, I have to say overall, the film was disappointing. It lacks the cleverness and wit of Tarantino's other work. What I have always liked about his movies was his ability to put a new twist on American pop culture and make it ironic. In fact, that was the framework of his films and I believe the key to his success. However, by using Asian Cinema as his template, he is unable to get you invested in the film. And as some of you may know, I'm a "bit" of a fan of Asian Cinema and let me tell you this, KILL BILL is more of an homage than it is a parody. It's not ironic, it's not clever, and there's really nothing cool about it. The ending blows too. I think if it had been one lone 3-4 hour movie, I could have been satisfied.

Then the rest of the day and evening became quite British and here's why...

1. G, S.O. and I had fish and chips for dinner from A Salt and Battery on Second Ave. This is quite possibly the best fish and chips in the City, though I am somewhat partial to the pub. Poor G had to miss the last crucial minutes of the Yankees so we can meet Matt and Jax and something called Dougie at...

2. The EDDIE IZZARD show. Holy shit is this guy a genius. For years I had no clue about him other than he dressed up like a chick and then one night in London Jared and his wife played me some of Izzard's videos and man is he a blast. Anyhow, this was our first time seeing him live (and matt's 50th time or so), and it was worth the hit. The man has an uncanny ability to seemingly make throaway jokes only to go back to them later and make them funny as hell. During his set he tackled everything from Racisim, cavemen, super heroes, transvestites, the planet mars, dentists, horses, fighting, air flight, did the worst yet funniest Christopher Walken impersonation ever and even made a funny joke about 9/11 (based on the fact that the rest of the world writes their dates with the DAY first and not the month, thus "everyone was wondering WHAT exactly happened on November 9th!). Brilliant. The vibe we left with was so good. I think I was beaming from the laughter!

After a quick pit stop at the Tom aggression Birthday gathering, G and I met up with the Kidd, Ian Broon, and poontang to check out...

3. Saintface. Live. Taking a break from doing their album, the lads put on an entertaining rock show featuring all the ass shaking hits we love. They had a few technical snafus, which is always expected, but this is band which much confidence and energy and the tunes to back it all up. Later, I spoke at length with Peter Saintface about the album and while he told me which rockers are going on the refuses to tell me which ballads are being recorded for fear that I will "pursade" and I am one of the few people who can "sway" him. I am honoured to say the least. Things are looking up for this band and hopefully the album will be in all our grubby hands sooner than later. He and Michael Saintface both asked about HF2 and wheels should be set in motion upon my return from LA.

And now, a lazy day

F

No comments: