9.8.05

Out In The Moonlight (to your left)....



While it seems as though I am lost in the world of Uncle Duty (which I am enjoying immensely), I do find myself able to get out and about (though I'm slower to report in about such things). So here's where I've been...

Along with several MOGpackers and 3 of the ladies from Internationalpoontang.com I made the trek to Brooklyn to check out the below referenced return of The 4th Level this past Friday night. I couldn't miss it. Luckily, I missed the support acts, and upon arrival, The 4th Level were there and ready to throw down some beats...until (of course) technical problems forced them to break down their gear to allow another artist, referred to here and forever as "Beat Pen" to do his, "thing". He had a Beat Pen. Really. Anyway, moving forward (much later), Ash and Justin made it back to the stage of this small place, set up their gear and delivered a really solid set that consisted of their back catalog along with some newer stuff as well as Ash's recent Baye material, of which, as you know, I am very fond. It was a great set, it just wasn't the right venue for what they were playing. I don't think anyone should play at a venue where Brandt supposedly goes for brunch.

I think Ash thought people didn't like it, but it was late and Beat Pen wrote the life out of us. It didn't suck at all. In fact, not only were they really good, that kid who looks like the kid with the glasses on OLD SCHOOL who "rips ass at the mixers" was DJ'ing and he's really fucking good, so the evening was pretty much all about the good music. And the turnout consisted of the MOGpac higher ups like Dan Hamill and Club Superstar, so this is also a plus. Poor Chas though, he came to relax and hear some beats and instead gets drafted to save some tech ass yet again. In the end, Ash proves his ability to successfully go back to his roots, something I will never do unless I feel like playing bowling alleys with a drum machine and a father of 2. Don't see that happening...

Speaking of that same father of 2, the former aggressioner Dr Fury's recent addition, Avery Ehren Kruger arrived last week and is HUGE, thus giving me hope that a future pro wrestler has been born to the former Doink the Clown Impersonator and his wife. Time will tell and you know I'm gonna try...

Sunday saw a mini-family outing as the significant other, the coolest 7 year old I know, and I joined the missing member of poontang from the night before, that guy Lurch, and The King Of All Videogames went to the Central Park Summerstage to see MIA. I'm gonna skip over the openers. MIA is a fucking STAR. This girl comes onstage and she just has IT. Insanely beautiful despite what I feel to be some wardrobe miscalculations, she has the tunes, voice and energy to really get a crowd moving. While my nephew would rather have beat Lurch's ass or sit on his shoulders during the gig, I thought it was one of the best gigs I've seen this year. It's going to be interesting to see where MIA's career goes, cause I think she can really bring something fresh and new to music.

Speaking of gigs, Oasis/Kasabian here in October? Yes, please (See you there Charles!. A reunited Bauhaus here at the new Nokia Theatre? Fuck me, I must be dreaming of all this goodness.

I was lucky (thanks to Lurch) to see a film you will all want to see in a few weeks called THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN. I am a big Judd Apatow mark, so this was a highly anticipated film. Happily it did not fail. Leave to to the genius of Apatow to give me a movie where I actually enjoy Paul Rudd. Steve Carrell goes house in this movie and rocks it. I am telling you this, the commercials give you nothing of the true brilliance of this film. When he gets waxed, forget it. And kudos to the awesomely hilarious Undeclared-alum (and co-producer) Seth Rogan, who is just awesome. Forever well we use the expression "you know how I know you're gay?" (you have to see to find out). Apatow is the man and delivers the laughs we crave. Lurch liked it better than Wedding Crashers, though I think it's just a bit short And Katherine Keener in her underwear! Score!

Having a 7 year old living with me for a month has created a lot of unforseen opportunities for me to do the things I secretly always want to do all the time: Watch cartoons, play videogames and talk Star Wars. I've even forgotten how to curse. Educating a small child on the rules of pro wrestling every Monday and Thursday is a dream come true. I even got to plan his birthday, which was yesterday and included a trip to Toys R Us, dinner at Benihana (YES), and a night of wrestling with "the guys" as he calls them. This is the LIFE.

F

1 comment:

dangerdorge said...

Meant to say something earlier but qudos to Ash on the gig I ALMOST saw. I did get the full impact of the BEAT PEN and I have to say I'd rather watch a man beat OFF for 90 minutes than experience what this guy had to offer. Hope to catch your sh*t next time, Ash. Thanks for the cords.