3.10.04

LOVING THE ASTRONAUT

A 25 year wait for an album deserves it's own blog entry I guess, so I here I am with my thoughts on the reunited Duran Duran's album ASTRONAUT. I don't have to get into my history of love for this band (that's what previous entries have been for), so I'll get right to it. ASTRONAUT is pretty damn good. It's not great, it's got a few classics on there, but honestly, with the hype and anticipation, I can't help but be compelled to say "it's not what I was hoping". However, one must ask: What exactly were we hoping for? Unlike my signficant other, my agent/lawyer/advisor, and diva bitch stoned manager, I am not an 80's fanatic, so I wasn't hoping for a re-creation of the old sound. So I've waited a few days to really get into the record, so let's put the hype aside (hehe) and get into it. The musicianship and production is supurb and I can't tell you how strong LeBon's vocals are. However, he's back to writing the lyrics (after letting Nick do them the last couple of pre-reunion years) and that sometimes works amazingly well (the excellent WHAT HAPPENS TOMORROW) and sometimes amazingly cheesy (the funky BEDROOM TOYS). I think I expected the more vague lyrics of the old days (I mean, come on, what the fuck is a UNION OF THE SNAKE?)

Anyhow, John Taylor sounds re-energized playing with Roger Taylor again, and the combination of those two allow the AMAZING Andy Taylor to shine like a mother on this album. Though he's always appeared to be your sort of "classic" rock guitarist, Andy's true gift is in that of knowing exactly what to play and when and doesn't dominate the music. I really forgot how awesome he is. His range of sounds and style defined Duran 2 decades ago and again here. The only member who didn't impress me for some reason was Nick Rhodes, as the synths and keyboard sounds on this record, though well played and well placed, sound standard. I've always been impressed by his loops and unique style, which seems to lack here. Perhaps after producing the bulk of the recent pre-reunion material (including the extremely underrated and excellent MEDAZZALAND) and bringing in outside producers, his role has lessened somewhat.

The first half of the album is the rockier portion and it's very well produced stuff. WANT YOU MORE is very reminicent of SEVEN AND THE RAGGED TIGER'S OF CRIME AND PASSION and this is a good thing. The opening song, the single SUNRISE, has really grown on me, especially the amazing bridge and there's a bunch of Chic inspired funky numbers, including the aforementioned BEDROOM TOYS and breezy TASTE THE SUMMER. The song NICE sounds like it could have fit on RIO.

However, if the Durans know anything, it's how to grab you by your heart strings and thats what the second half of the album is about. Sequentially, it reminds me of the also underrated album BIG THING, which contains a mostly slower, ballad filled second half. FINEST HOUR could be this album's ORDINARY WORLD if pushed right as a single. It's a solid synth driven anthem. Catchy as hell! ONE OF THESE DAYS is decent, and penultimate song, POINT OF NO RETURN is filler that sounds like a George Michael outtake. However, they finish big with STILL BREATHING, which to me is genuine classic that defines the reformed Duran. Great vocals, great catchy riff and a string section to die for. A great closer.

I'm being Frank with you in saying I didn't like the bulk of this stuff when I first heard it. I got on this blog a few times to moan and bitch, but I refrained as I felt I needed to really get into it. And as I get further into it, I find myself really appreciating it more and more. I also think I'll really love this album after seeing them do this stuff live. The album needed an epic or two in to make it perfect, but for a band that on paper shouldn't even be alive, this is great stuff. It's a welcome return and one I remain very excited about.

Speaking of being very excited, the OTHER best new band in England (besides the much loved Kasabian) is this weeks NME cover stars Razorlight. Led by the Lief Garrett lookalike Johnny Borrell, theyre a catchy, raw 4-piece that reminds me of later Velvets and early Lou Reed. Where's as the Strokes tried and failed to be early lo fi Velvets, Razorlight embrace the later post-John Cale polished Velvets and create something fresh. Like Lou Reed, Borrell is more a talker than a singer and a decent storyteller as well. Their album UP ALL NIGHT is well crafted pop that feels energetic and new without feeling like a total rip off of something I've heard before (like the much loved Kasabian). Borrell started out as a flat mate of the douche and the crackhead from the Libertines, but I have a feeling that by years end, those two douches will be eating Razorlight's dust.

The HK Cinema resurgence took a huge hit with me last night when I finally got to see TWINS EFFECT 2, starring many attractive young Asians. the first TWINS movie was great harmless fun and a decent movie to boot and the attempt to recreate that magic goes straight to hell by casting Jackie Chan's SON in his first movie role. He looks amazingly like his father and guess what, the big nose is where the similarities end. The kid is HORRIBLE. He can't act, he can't fight and now I totally understand why his father has been trashing him in the press! Brandon Lee this is not. Avoid this film, even JC's cameo fight vs. Donnie Yen is crap. Perhaps the years biggest disappointment. If JC's return to form in NEW POLICE STORY is this bad, we're in trouble.

Oh, I saw HUCKABEES, which was pretty clever and well done. Funny too. All the actors are very good and Naomi Hotts would have stolen the show if Marky Mark hadn't owned every scene he was in. He needs to choose more roles like this cause if he does, he could be a big ass star. The director, David O. Russell, gave us the so so FLIRTING WITH DISASTER and the excellent THREE KINGS (Marky Mark's OTHER great performance). While he is probably a big douche and George Clooney would raise his glass to me in agreement, the fucker can direct. Good stuff.

Wrestling tonight. Live. Thanks Ev!

F

4 comments:

mjg. said...

just hearing the name TASTE OF SUMMER makes me want to socialize with Brandt...

F.J. said...

Ok well, then, we can finally cross "straight" off Matt's resume.

ashley said...

You mean Wish List...

ashley said...

I think you mean..."DAAAMMN!"