25.10.04

There is No Cure...

First off, a note on the passing of Mr. Peel. Back in the day, nothing was cooler than owning your favourite band's Peel Session. When those sessions basically involve almost every band I have ever loved, this should say enough. My gut says that with this man's passing there are a million great bands we will never know of because Mr. Peel isn't here to champion them. A shame. Rest well.

Onwards...

Sometime ago, I addressed my frustration with the recent Cure album. Within the MOGpac, I wasn't alone in those feelings and this has been discussed at length. As press came and went for the new album, Ash was quick to point out that the wonderful Cure bassist, Simon Gallup, didn't have many kind things to say about the album's producer, Metal Douche Ross Robinson. For example, one article read: "When you speak of Ross Robinson, the producer of the new album, he becomes furious: 'Don't tell me he's a great producer, for me he's only been a nightmare. From my mouth will never come out a positive word about him, he's just an idiot'."

In another article: Simon says: "The tracklisting wasn’t decided by committee this time, it was basically Robert and Ross’ tracklisting, so not all of us agree on it. I think there were better songs, personally, that were left off – more personal songs, I think. It’s a subjective thing. They’ll all end up somewhere; they’ll be on B-Sides and things like that."

Suddenly, hearing the B-Sides, including a track called THIS MORNING (long discussed by internet fans in the months leading up to the album as the best song of all the new material) became a priority. I had to know. And knowing Brandt Gassman, I knew he would have these B-Sides. Yes, he's that type. I had actually refused hearing them when offered, but I went in the other day to the studio I demanded these tunes be put in my Ipod. And what do you know! The songs are fucking AWESOME. I'm not gonna sit there and get into them. It's too frustrating. However, THIS MORNING is the dogs balls. Really ace stuff. Fuck you Ross. Metal Douche Bitchass. And to Mr. Smith I say: Fat Boy, what the fuck are you on about? As I've always said, PRODUCE YOURSELF instead of dealing with some douche who thinks they know what's best for your band. They're usually cracked in the head and think they know what they're doing simply cause they own the gear. Douches.

Speaking of frustrating, I did another round of drum editing the other night. This shit is SO slow. However, Ash, being the kind of person who is helpful in these types of situations, has given us a new program that should cut our time down signficantly called Melodyne. I'm reading up on it now and brandt will be installing it into the studio tonight, so I am hopeful we will be able to move forward with great speed this weekend.

Next, my album of the year: revealed!

F

No comments: