10.10.04

"I'm not intimidated by the venue. Bob Hope sang on this stage. I don't care, things like that don't bother me."

You may recall my extremely long, yet hopefully entertaining entry regarding our attending the beginning of Morrissey's wonderful comeback tour at the Apollo about 5 months or so ago and all the fun and chaos that transpired. Because of that near-perfect experience, the thought of seeing him at Radio City Music Hall last night was actually a negative in my eyes. I was firm in my belief that seeing him again could only be a let down and we should let sleeping dogs by not tarnishing the memory of a wonderful night (made double exciting thanks to the antics of the passionate members of Saintface).

But then little things creeped in that made me slowly change my mind about buying tickets. He had changed the set list, he opened Reading with HOW SOON IS NOW, the new album was actually quite good, etc. The variables suddenly were all yet again in Moz's favour. I had even received another Internet pre-sale E-mail to get tickets early. However, the icing on the cake came when my significant other, who in the end, like Ash, is a more optimistic person than I am, said "You know, he'll never have another comeback like this again, and at Radio City no less". Suddenly, there I was, in front of the laptop I am typing to you now, purchasing tickets. And dammit, by the time we walked past Jared Leto (Just back from South Africa shooting my pal Bradley J. Fox's new movie LORD OF WAR) outside of Radio City, I realized getting tickets to see Mr. Moz was a super super super smart move.

First, I have no exciting stories to tell. I didn't see members of Saintface (the place is huge), security was too tight for the usual frontstage madness to ensue (only a few runners made it to the stage, and only one got to Moz), and we sat for the whole gig in the first mez (a beautiful view). However, Morrissey and his super crew of musicians blew us away with an excellent set that included the best of the new album (FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE, I HAVE FORGIVEN JESUS), strong B-sides (THE NEVER PLAYED SYMPHONIES), and some Smiths classics (LAST NIGHT I DREAMT..., and thankfully, the biggest moment of the night: HOW SOON IS NOW). If I have one true complaint, its that he doesn't play enough from his early solo albums (the lack of SUEDEHEAD really upset Irene), though hearing NOW MY HEART IS FULL is always a treat.

But if the Apollo gig was a gig, last night's performance was a SHOW. A true geniuine Morrissey show, complete with Elvis '68 Comeback Special style lights that read, what else: MORRISSEY and dramatically lifted up from under the stage. I can't say enough about his band, which has vastly improved in the 5 months since we last saw them. The sound was incredible, even a bit loud, which was a nice change of pace for the usually reserved Radio City. There were a few freaks, including one extremely heavy Latin dude in a doo rag and a Bob Marley Tshirt on his feet singing at the top of his lungs to every song in tears taking photos of the gig and himself with his cel phone. It started off funny, but it got scary as he never stopped. He actually cleared out a few seats. Also, there was one guy who looked like Eugene Levy at the edge of the Mezzanine doing the DeCaprio TITANIC pose just screaming nonstop, and not in a good way, especially with his belly sticking out. I was covinced this fucker was gonna jump. Who ARE these tortured souls? Why can't they all be like Michael Saintface and just kill people for a piece of Morrissey's shirt. DIRECT your passion, kids!

And what about Stephen Patrick Morrissey himself? I thought he seemed quite pleased playing the Apollo, but he was clearly excited about performing at this legendary venue. After one potential stagerunner was stopped he jokingly yelled: "This is hallowed ground! No smiling, no laughing, no touching! This is RADIO CITY!" He was extremely talkative, funny, and very charming, much more than when we last saw him. He even did a whole a bit about sitcoms ("In Boston I told them that Cheers wasn't funny") and then went on about how much he loved UNSOLVED MYSTERIES. Hilarious. His voice was sharp, he hit the right notes and he commanded the stage. Like he must. Like he always does. Exactly as we all need him to be. The comeback is complete. Irene was right, we'll never see another moment like this.

Until the inevitable Johnny Marr reunion happens. Cause you KNOW that's gonna happen.

F

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny Marr and Moz reunion? Nah.
And Moz hated the security, after last night, I don't think he'll EVER play Radio City again.

-Jen

F.J. said...

The Morrissey and Marr reunion WILL happen. Before this decade is out possibly.

ashley said...

I now, officially, am VERY sad that I was too cool for school to go to either venue...


Ash.

F.J. said...

Yes Ash, you did make a mistake this time, I am sad to say. However, who is the bigger fool: He who is too cool for school or he who choses Manilow over Morrissey.

Ponder.

F

ashley said...

In Matt's Defense, Barry is as a big legend in some circles, due to the fact that he (in an early 80's issue of Keyboard magazine) described how he loved to write songs that have "big titty endings".

F.J. said...

if "big titty" is being used as an excuse, then Ash, you have NO excuse for missing Manilow.