17.10.04

This IS Better Than Philly!!

Dan Hamill sums up last night's 1am Twilight Singers gig at Irving Plaza perfectly. I didn't agree at first mostly because I thought the sound sucked (this was a hastily put together CMJ show), the crowed was filled with CMJ douches (alleged music "experts" being in NY probably for the first time is the WORST), I couldn't see the awesome drummer that well (he brings a lot to the show) and I was feeling like ass (though sober again for Dulli). However, when Dulli decided to sit on the edge of the stage and sing TIME OF THE SEASON to the younger ladies in the audience ala Dean Martin (his own words), Mr. Hamill was proven right. Dulli had his backup singer pally with him for this show, which was a nice addition and should be full time (I think the dude, who i was a drunken dick to on the last tour, only pops up for the NY shows). Though the Kidd would argue the lack of of Afghan Whigs songs hurt this current tour, I disagree strongly. Much to Irene's delight Dulli again did the Def Leppard cover and he did an excellent cover of My Bloody Valentine's WHEN YOU SLEEP which then morphed into Bette Midler's THE ROSE. That ain't easy kids. It was awesome watching Ms. Robin Emmet seeing Dulli for the first time and getting it. Another convert. She will take her baby to see Dulli. Soon.

Before this awesome gig, G, Lurch and I checked out TEAM AMERICA and it's very very good. It's nowhere near the level of awesome the SOUTH PARK movie was nor do I think it's as extreme in it's offensiveness. In fact, my biggest complaint about TEAM AMERICA is that it doesn't go far enough. There ARE some great bits, especially the musical numbers, but I felt it should have gone further in it's social commentary. However, you have to give Parker and Stone all the credit in the world because there's no one doing anything like this and on this level, and that in itself is impressive.

F

No comments: