29.9.04

Tidbits

*While certain band members eat their scallops, I find myself jumping back and forth between musical adventures. However, at the moment none of my musical endeavors are of the creative nature, BUT, I'm putting things in motion to ensure a very exciting musical 2005. For example, in the world of Hypefactor, Michael Doyle, the gifted artistic mastermind behind Chemlab's OXIDIZER artwork has come onboard as the designer for EXIT STRATEGIES. To say I am excited about this would is a MASSIVE understatement. We're in good hands! Besides introducing me to some cool new music, Michael continues to blow my mind with creative goodness at his website www.Burnlab.net. GO. NOW. Big public thanks for that.

*As you know, I'm a big fan of Hong Kong Cinema and while the industry there is not what it once was, there is still some greatness shining from the East. The FRIGHTENINGLY prolific Johnnie To, he of THE MISSION and FULLTIME KILLER fame, is back with this NINTH film in the past two years. It's called THROWDOWN and it's quite simply one of the most uplifiting and beautiful films to come out of Hong Kong EVER. Centered around the world of Judo (a near extinct Japanese Martial Art) in Hong Kong, a washed up Judo fighter (Louis Koo, who I don't think I had ever seen before) finds hope in the friendship of a young lounge singer (the adorable Cherrie Ying) and a drifter/judo upstart (played by pop star Aaron Kwok). Imagine a less spiritual, more realistic film based around the same human themes of his other excellent film RUNNING ON KARMA (reviewed sometime back on this blog) and you will find yourself with tears in your eyes as you watch these characters evolve as the movie progresses. The actors are supurb and if you're not in love with Cherrie Ying after her first scene, you don't have a pulse. My favourite HK film review site www.lovehkfilm.com has an excellent review of the film that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the film. You can read here: http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/throwdown.htm

Johnnie To, without a doubt, is Hong Kong's best, most diverse director and just this year alone has delivered two excellent films with THROWDOWN and BREAKING NEWS. I really don't think there is any kind of movie this guy CAN'T direct. if you're an Akira Kurosawa fan, THROWDOWN will mean that much more to you. One of my favourite films of the year.

HK film has two potential classics on the way in my man JC's NEW POLICE STORY, which is getting awesome reviews for the action (and so so once for the drama) and KUNG FU HUSTLE which could make or break the legacy of Stephen Chow (based on the hilarious trailer alone, I'm leaning to the make part of that).

*U2 return with a new song, VERTIGO, which is kinda shocking to me. At first I didn't love it, but now I find myself going back to it quite a bit. It's a rockier u2 that seems somewhat referential to their much earlier stuff in terms of performance and arrangement. It's very simple and direct and everything a good pop single should be. I expected in a post 9/11 world that u2 would come back and be very heavy handed (and they still might with the full album) but to be in the business as long as they have and to come up with a rock song that sounds fresh is kinda impressive. Lyrically its as throwaway as their ZOOROPA era and musically it's as straight up as their ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND era. Lesson learned kids, less is more IS the way. I believe U2 are quite possibly the most successful band in the history of rock n roll based on the fact that they still continue to pump out fresh and new music on a consistant basis that is both artistically and commercially successful. Despite a more impressive and experimental body of work, the Beatles never made it this far and no one cared about new Stones albums when they were this far into their career. U2 remain relevant, interesting, and in demand. Can this be argued? I mean, really, are you going to see REM in Atlantic City next month? Come on.

*A quick mention about Sanctuary Records new line of anthologies from former Creation Records artists. The most underrated band on the label, HURRICANE #1, have released their two CD anthology, called STEP INTO MY WORLD and it just goes to show you how the world missed out on a great band. The timing was wrong as they were lost in the shadow of Oasis' huge success but let me say I am not shocked that Hurricane's leader, the brilliant Andy Bell (who was also in the groundbreaking band Ride), is a member of Oasis these days. He is a super musician and songwriter and this anthology proves that. It's a great introduction to the band and the second disc is a real treat for the die hards. Excellent Britpop that tried to take the standard guitar rock sound of the time and change iit up a bit with cool production and remixes (the Oakenfold remix of their classic STEP INTO MY WORLD appears here). Great band, wrong time.

And now, back to the PS2 and STAR WARS BATTLEFRONTS!

F

2 comments:

ashley said...

Why would you want to see ANYONE in Atlantic City? Does that place still exist, Grandpa?

F.J. said...

My folks are still picking up the tab for dinner, so I can only assume it does!

F