20.9.04

"You're SO LA..."

Or so said Peter Saintface today during out first sessions to record his final vocals for EXIT STRATEGIES. He was referring to my laid pack producer approach which he has since learned is the "only speak when something sucks badly" approach. More often then not, I'm whispering in Brandt's ear when something's not working for me. That way, when I speak, the musicians actually listen. This only works in my own band of course...

Anyway, Peter came in, professional as always, and did a super job. We started the day taking him through the album's tracks to give him a feel of where we are at and discussed the future plans for the band. His comments on the album were very positive, which is very important to me. We briefly touched on the current status of Saintface, who are playing this week, and his plans for the forthcoming album (which is getting crazy play in my house). However, my gut was not to push him too much cause he's in post-album burn out mode (and man, do I know that feeling). After that we put him in the booth and put him to work.

We laid down all of the vocals for EXIST. Of course, he delivered big time again. We have a lot of great material to work with and recording his vocals is like watching a painter add layers of colour to a canvas. He's open to ideas and very collaborative, but honestly, (and this happned on the last record) we had very few suggestions as he really develops his ideas to perfection. Jesus, if I could do every song with this guy, i would. That's my subtle hint of the day...

We wrapped up EXIST and Brandt had to split due to an emergency (or so he says, it could have been a drug run for all I know), and Peter and I started CLEAN UP, which has a wider range than EXIST. Honestly, Peter put so much into EXIST that he was a tad beat up by the time we got to this song AND he has rehearsal tonight, so he asked if we could halt the proceedings and pick up this weekend. Who am I to complain? Waiting a few extra days for a fresh Peter can make a BIG difference for this album. So why not wait?

Oh I've got photographic evidence, which hopefully should be going up on the site eventually.

F

3 comments:

ashley said...

Subtle hint seconded! Between Leo and Peter, it would be INSANE. But this stems from the fact that F has not let me here ANY of his vocals, which is bizarre because he knows how much I like his vox from The Distracted Lover, especially "Infringement".

ashley said...

I shouldn't say "ANY", since I have heard F's harmonies with Leo on "Our Faith". Their voices compliment each other really nicely.

F.J. said...

The only reason you havent heard them is because I don't think they have been added to B's main mixes yet. On my end at least, its nothing personal, as I have been comfortable playing you and the other HF members everything so far! Brandt, however, might totally be ashamed of my work ;-)