7.9.04

What I have learned from...

...my own dumbass self. NEVER EVER teach a six year old how to perform the legendary wrestling move known as the Shining Wizard. Made popular in Japan by the legendary Keiji Motuh, the Shining Wizard is when a wrestler steps off his opponents knee with one foot and strikes him in the face with his other knee. It is a deadly move and should be used only by professionals and backyard veterans such as myself. Observe here: http://batt.xxking.com/wallpaper/jp/d_sw_800.jpg

If you teach a young and energetic 6 year old this move, you will wake up the next day bruised, battered and with servere headaches. Also, your significant other, who was not made aware that the child had been taught this move, will be mad at you for her "sore boobs" that have been accidentally kneed repeatedly. Just sayin.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (or on Third Avenue), I enjoyed a brief conversation with the scary busy yet jangly Robin Emmet, who was on her way to make smoothies (if you know what I mean). We discussed our musical adventures, some of which will transpire this week. I only mention this because I feel bad that I totally talked her ear off for like 20 minutes straight and I wanted to publically apologize. What makes it worse is that even though I mentioned that I had something to ask her about while I was talking, I never got to it! Robin!

Imagine the Roses, the Verve, the Primals all mixed together into one young and exciting band...that's Kasabian. After hearing bands rip off the sounds of NY and the UK from the 70's, it's about time someone ripped off the bands that defined the late/80's early 90's (pre-oasis) British music scene and combined it with modern electonics and production to create what I think is one of the best debut albums of the last 5 years. I had gotten a hold of some of their singles and while I was digging it, I felt they lacked the maturity in terms of production and the presence of some of the guitars. However, for the album, out this week in the UK, they drafted in Jim Abbiss, who has worked with everyone from Massive Attack to Bjork to DJ Shadow to really bring the band to that next level. The songs from the singles have been revised and matured and the sound is perfect. Great electronic, rythmn based rock n roll. This band also has a diversity I feel has been missing in Rock N Roll. The record goes from storming rockers to baggy dance numbers and then to synth driven instrumentals. Also, these guys have a great attitude in the press. They're hungry and I like that. The singer, Tom Meighan, recently called Julian Casablacas a "Posh Fucking Skier". That says it all. Best new band and top 3 for Album of the Year (I'm leaving room cause some big shit is coming).

Nu-Baggy begins. I can't wait till Ash hates this album.

F

PS: Happy Birthday to my lovely significant and younger other. Your Ipod is on it's way now gimme back mine. xoxo


9 comments:

mjg. said...

oh thank you so much frank!!! i love you too!

ashley said...

ANYWAY, you mupp's, "Posh Fucking Skier" is the FUNNIEST thing I have ever heard!

F.J. said...

I think "Skier" is the new "Citizen"

mjg. said...

"KASABIAN"...i just did it. not so tough...what?

F.J. said...

I bought LSF in London and the love affair began. I've gotta get G into this band ASAP. You should hear HIM try and say the name of the band. FYI Dorg, the Verve best of is coming out with two new songs.

Taking Cuthberth's name in vein on this site is not permitted.

F

ashley said...

How DO you pronounce Kasabian?

"Skier" is officially the new "Citizen", and it better make it's way into HF lyrics...

F.J. said...

I think they ski in Commack. Anyway, its pronounced KA-ZAY-BEE-AN. I didnt know how to say it either, but luckily i watched a lot of late night london television and they were on and I heard them say it. Sadly, i couldnt understand anything else that came out of their mouths. Regardless, they own it.

Anonymous said...

Franq - I need you to call me, say Kasabian properly and hang up.
And yes "posh skier" is pretty awesome. Much better than when Julian Casablancas called Liam Gallagher "kind of a dick"

ashley said...

Yeah, Ka-say-bian, that's exactly what it looks like. How else would you say it? Jeez. Your all a bunch of hicks trying to out-Brit each other. Skiers.