18.1.06

TONS of Fun

Irene and I braved unkind weather conditions and made our way to Montreal this past holiday weekend. It was a surreal drive of rain and tons and tons of fog. It was kinda cool yet a bit freaky at times, especially when you can't see too far in front of you. However, it was traffic free and this being my fourth time to Montreal in less than a year, the drive is becoming familiar and easier. It was a brief yet worthy trip, as Irene's mom was in Montreal taking care of our nephew (who's mother is in Italy on business). This of course leads to the best homecooked food I have ever eaten and I still am full from the meals. Ok, so Montreal is fucking FREEZING. The 10 minutes we spent walking my nephew to the schoolbus on Monday in 6 degree weather with some assrape windchill level was the coldest shit I heve ever been in. My tea fucking froze. Seriously. Anyway, how much do I love my nephew? So much that I didn't regret missing MANI DJ, but Danny made up for but being held by the man while he spun Primals. He told Danny the new album is "different". I can't fucking wait!

In my further efforts to close the book on the aggression once and for all, Irene and I took a quick pit-stop on our way back to NY Monday to see original aggression member Chris Link (who appears on REVISIONIST HISTORY) and his lovely family. We hadn't seem them in a while and this was a super time. He and Nina's daughter, Lucy, is a beauty and totally adorable. We spoiled her with books and fun stuff and enjoyed every second of it. Good friends, good times.

With that, I have now had the opportunity to see every member of the aggression that ever was, except Kieran, who is somewhere out there. So this is my official thanks for the memories to Kieran who kept the ship afloat as we made the post Mark transition into FLOOD. Cheers.

Back to reality now as I currently, finally, have no travel plans, no familial obligations or fragile high school reunion shit to worry about. With that, I'm back in the full swing of work and music and happy to be back in NY for an extended period because it's time to get the Hypefactor experionce (correct spelling) in motion. While travelling around from city to country, several things have entered my mind to discuss with you, so here we go:

*Ash likes to use the word PARODY when it comes to many of the musicians we grew up with. Often times, such as the case of Johnny Marr (for whom said gimmick was invented), I disagree, but I must take this moment and call out my former hero Uncle Al Jourgensen and declare him a parody. He has taken the last great brand in his arsenal, The Revolting Cocks and has ruined it forever by releasing some horrendous shit called COCKED AND LOADED, which is the most horrible shit I have ever heard. NONE of the original important members. This is the worst. My childhood has been raped. Al, I am happy you are alive and healthy, and I look forward to the Ministry album I will listen to once, but STOP it and fire whoever told you this was a good idea.

* I fucking HATE The Strokes, but goddammit the first song on the new album, which is called YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE is stuck in my brain nonstop. It's Lou Reed by numbers and I love it. Shit. Irene and I saw the singer the other night in Virgin and he was deceptively tall. I am not a height whore, but I added that before G could ask me.

*Matt Gentile owes me a large cash sum for our Sisters of Mercy tickets, but the question is, will it be worth it? No new album. STILL. I find myself thinking about the gig, and then I realize theres no bassist and something called Robochrist is playing guitar and my hopes shatter. In my own silly way, I have bought a Mission 20th Anniversary Tshirt to wear to the gig just to be a douche.

* I decided while driving that Kevin Kline is an underrated genius. Discuss.

*24 returned to my TV and 4 hours later, I need therapy. Killing major characters in the first 5 minutes is great booking. When Palmer came on, i said to irene "he's so dead this season" and i couldn't finish the sentence and the motherfucker was dead. Goodbye Mr. President. Best show ever. EVER.

There's more, but this is plenty for now.

F

8 comments:

mjg. said...

first off...this whole post was just a chance for fj to say that i owe someone money. subsequently, kevin kline is immediately disqualified for his association with the big chill (although i did enjoy 'dave').

F.J. said...

Youre not wrong about the you owing money thing, but any DQ of Kevin Kline is overrulled by his still being married to Pheobe Cates who remains super hot. Kevin Kline understands long term booking.

F

ashley said...

I managed to hold off on watching the two two-hour episodes of 24 until Tuesday, when I watched all 4 hours striaght. Who needs therapy now???

SO DAMN AWESOME.

ashley said...

OH, I do believe Matt did a balance transfer on ma ass and I am now on FJ's layaway plan for approx. $50 of said dough.

brandtgassman said...

Does this mean that A. Douché has agreed to see a gig with a guitarist named Robochrist? Parody awaits!

ashley said...

No, I'm not going to the show, I owe Matt drug money.

F.J. said...

Honestly, Ash, as much as I love you and going to gigs with you, I would not want to go to this gig with you. I think that its just matt and I says it all. Theres an understanding of suck potential here that we both understand...

mjg. said...

And by drug money, Ashley really means sex money (I don't wnat the fuzz comin' down on me).