4.11.04

RISE!

The REVENGE OF THE SITH trailer debuted today online and what can I say...Vader, Yoda, Chewie, Padme, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, the droids are all there, they all look either pissed off or in heaps of trouble and that's what a fucking STAR WARS movie should look like! The sith looks like it's finally hitting the fan. Even the die hards can't complain with this one. Matt Gentile is quoting lines...a good sign. Goosebumps at the sight of Vader. Kudo's George, now don't screw the movie up.

Meanwhile, as pointed out at breakfast to my friend Chad, 4 more years of Bush means we get to remain a part of the maturing of the Bush Twins into young women. That could be tasty. Patty Davis anyone?

ANYHOW, we took a trip down the block last night to check out COLDER at Bowery Ballroom. As you may recall (and if you don't jump back to the May 04 section of this blog) Irene and I missed this gig as we were on the other coast and while Brandt and Ash and I'm sure many other douches packed Rothko to check this frenchness out, they were unimpressed. However, Brandt wasnt THAT unimpressed as he's the one who picked up the tickets for last night. Ash went back and forth and sadly didn't make it. It seemed a lot of people were of the same mindset as they barely filled half the place last night. However, there's little to no press for the album here in the states and no promo at all for the tour, which is silly. Anyhow, the addition of Warp Records newest signing Home Video (turned on to us by Ash himself) got us into the venue early.

Home Video have a lot of potential. They're a very young 3-piece which have an EP called, (and this I love) CITIZEN, and it's 5 tracks of exellent electronic rock. It reminds me of many things, which is good, and yet is original. I feel it. it's well produced and has a nice warmth and smooth feel to it. Live, they were a bit too Radiohead for me as the balance shifted a bit more to the rock side of things. It was a bit raw, which could be good if used right. I honestly think they just need some seasoning and a few extra band members. I love the EP and I liked the live show, I think I can love them soon, but they seem to be as old as my first grade going cousin. Watch this space for more on these guys. Oh and they seem to be nice blokes as well as we chatted them up a bit.

COLDER then came on, much later than what we were hoping and I'll be Frank in that I was very pleased with the set. B informs me that they have added a keyboardist since he saw them in May which successfully balances the electronics to the rockness now. The band were quite good in that they all took the material from the album and took them to the next step with the live show. They expanded the arrangements and honestly I thought they improved the material to the point where the album seems like a step backwards to me. The bassist in particular was good. They played a few songs, which I liked quite a bit, which makes me hopeful that AGAIN wasn't a fluke of an album.

Of course this show does have its drawbacks, all of which can be found in the main dude, who created all this, wrote all this and supposedly played all this on the record. He's French, fey and looks like some architecht my dad hired. He has no presence whatsover and the cool emotionless thing wears thin quick. He also sings much higher than on the record. I think the best solution to this douche would be to run his films alongside the music. He's primarily a filmmaker I believe and the record comes with a DVD of his work based on the music. He should consider drawing the focus towards that, as it's a nice match.

I'll be very curious to see what direction Colder goes in next time on both album and on stage.

F

1 comment:

mjg. said...

i gotta say...the trailer is sick. i sat down to watch the episode 4 dvd which i got for my birthday (thanks to those who didn't wish me well), and although it was the SpEd version, it was so cool to watch it going..."oh yeah, see they met then" or "this is why he acted this way".

sick.

just sayin'