27.11.04

Post Turkey Stress Disorder

Yes, still here and plenty left to say for the big fishes in small minds...

Good and bad notes to post from the Hypefactor camp. The drum editing, thanks to Brandt (with a Melodyne tutorial from Ash), is finally finished and ready to be placed for mixing. The problem is that our song files for mixing are HUGE, and we, not being millionaires or having friends at Digidesign or Cubase, must learn to work with our limited resources (when I say "limited" I need to state for the record that we as a unit are quite fortunate in the amount of stuff we DO have). This has led to much discussion as to how to approach the mixing process using what we have. I think the approach Brandt has come up with, despite many revisions, is a solid one...IF the computer co-operates. Thus lies the big problem. I spent an entire day at the Birdcage yesterday (more on what I was doing there in a second), and B seemed in total control of the situation and the second I left, his computer and, in particular, Cubase itself, decided to crap out, of course always right when we need it most. Ladies and Gentlemen, technology at it's finest. My immediate concern were for the actual sound files and their possible corruption due to the computer's problems, but Brandt points out that they are kept on a separate hard drive and are secure. Where I last left off with B, he was running scans and all that shit while putting a call into Ash (who is usually quite dependable in these situations). I think our devoting the holiday weekend to getting the album ready to mix is in semi-jeopardy now, sadly. I'm trying to be as NOT frustrated as possible by trying NOT to let this series of unfortunate events crawl under my skin and make me mental....too late!

While this was all going on, yours truly has been chained to his own computer, this time for the purposes of remixing a band called Impant, who some of you might know. Jared set this up, as they will be doing a Chemlab remix in return. I'm pleased with the way it's coming out and it's allowing me to get back into the computer music groove. It's been awhile and it's been fun thus far. Hopefully, I won't jinx it.

And now for some advertisements:

FINDING NEVERLAND might be the best movie of 2004. I have to go back and look at what else came out this year, but this movie rocked my ass. They might give Depp his Oscar for this one, simply cause he doesn't do anything crazy other than give a beautiful and thoughtful performance that is unlike his usual fare. And Kate Winslet can act more with her eyes than most actors can do with their entire persons. Great film.

Thanks to Dorg of internationalpoontang.com and her singnificant other, Mr. H of St, D's, Irene and I have been able to relive our UK trip by purchasing bags and bags of crisps, digestives and good UK candy at Myers of Keswick on Hudson Street here in the big city. Huge props for this.

Now, eat your leftovers, bitch!

F

No comments: