16.8.04

Split-Apart

While I cannot write volumes about the KMFDM debate as I am on holiday in Praha and writing this on the clock in a 'net cafe, I will say this in response to FJ's query...

Sascha's comments about the making of Money are quite accurate, although some of what he said in the aforementioned interview was news even to me. At least two "drafts" of Money were presented to Wax Trax! before the final version, and at least one of them was "test pressed" (more on this in a minute). I knew very little about the first draft, but can only assume now that it was the Split LP mentioned by Sascha in the interview.

When I spent at least one day per week trolling the used bins of Chicago record stores in the mid-1990s, I came across two Wax Trax! "test pressings" within the span of one week that were quite unusual. For the uninitiated vinyl geeks, "test pressings" are produced by pressing plants to see if the master being used in the duplication process is flawed. Almost every record or CD is test-pressed at some point, often in limited quantities (as few as five to ten copies.) Sleeves and jackets are rarely included, with pressing plants substituting generic "white labels" in lieu of real artwork.

Wax Trax!, however, test-pressed many of its records in far greater quantities and used the extras in promotional mailings to DJs and radio stations. Wax Trax! test pressings are relatively easy to spot, as most have computer-generated labels with the artist/album information and were produced by an American company called Hub-Servall. These pop up in record stores and on eBay every few months, most selling for little more than a few dollars.

The identical Wax Trax! test pressings I found were for a KMFDM album called Apart. Upon listening I realized that both were preliminary drafts of the Money LP that had made it as far as the test pressing stage, but had been aborted for whatever reason. I wrote Sascha for more information and he said that, indeed, Money went through two separate drafts, although En Esch was still "in" the band at the time and he failed to elaborate on any of the backstory cited in the recent interview. He did, however, ask for my one duplicate, as not even he had a copy, and I duly obliged with a mailing to Seattle.

For you KMFDM completists out there, you need not worry about missing any material. Many of the songs ended up as remixes on singles from that era (ie "Split-Apart" from Vogue), and the rest saw the light of the day on the KMFDM rarities compilation Wax Trax!/TVT released in the late 1990s.

34 comments:

F.J. said...

Reading the phrase "On holiday in Praha" makes me pee myself silly. First of all, I don't even know what Praha is. Only a jazz half ass like Summer Man could say such wackness so seriously. However his knowledge is razor sharp and dead on. I am once again educated.

F

brandtgassman said...

Also, where did the jazz bit come from? It's not as if I am wandering around here with a beret on... and you're the one going to France, for fuck's sake!

F.J. said...

yeah, but what kinda of Summer Man calls it Praha as if you were some kind of "man of the world"? Obnoxious! You are the man of summer, leave it at that. Enjoy Canadia.

As for Jazz Half Ass, you obviously paid no attention to anything Baby Show.

F

mjg. said...

ummm...Praha is Czech for Prague, Monsieur DoucheSanto

brandtgassman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
brandtgassman said...

Oh, and need I mention that "vacationing in London" is to "international" as "Chris Randall producing my album" is to industrial. Your international superstar credentials have been revoked, my friend.

mjg. said...

oh wow...summer man is PISSED. quel méchant?!?! i will claim my international superstar status (i do hold an international driver's license, ya know) and say a few things in very rare defense of Monsieur DoucheSanto:
a) as he mentioned, it is his SO's first trip east of Boston, and London is a perfect place to get one's feet wet, euro-style. b) he will be visiting friends and seeing several shows. c) London, and the UK in general, to all of its many faults, especially gastronomical (hi, prawn and mayo sandwich?!?), does maintain it's sovereignty by giving a big bollocks to the EU and Euro - cheers to that you snaggle-toothed faegs.

is he mackin' broads in dresden, no. is he scootering to the beach in a coastal croatian town, no. does that matter, no. he is keeping up the MOGInternational Corp presence in the UK and that's what matters. the fact that alone this summer we'll have meetings in 7 european countries and one the launch of a Hawaiian office is great. i'm very proud...it's the sufFUCK office that irks me. ;)

ps - if you go to AAA and give them 10 bucks you too could have your own int'l drivers license...or a house in vermont.

F.J. said...

I like the venom! I like the energy! Maybe Brandt can take a flying elbow on this trip without quitting ;-)

I'm seeing Greg Dulli and Primal Scream. You're in Queens. Let's FIGHT!

And it was ASH who asked for the Baby Show Marathon and its Brandt who likes the taste of pee.

However just so you know, Brandt and I each did 5 songs for the new Hypefactor record and both our set of songs were rejected, which is really why we brought the cobras in.

F

ashley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ashley said...

I figure I might as well respond to comments from previous posts here, so:

Matt, do I use a lot of caps or something?

Also, I personally ENJOY long posts...

ashley said...

BTW, you guys are on FIRE today!

mjg. said...

do i really need to respond to your question re: the use of caps?

mjg. said...

and Summer Man, i truly enjoyed the industrial ANALogy

brandtgassman said...

On the subject of Praha, it blows... regardless of what you choose to call it. Perhaps it is the time of year (July/August is when ALL of the Europeans travel and steal the Summer Man gimmick, wearing shorts and t-shirts regardless of whether it is steaming hot or pouring freezing rain), but the tourist factor was out of control. If Munchen is the SoHo of Europe, then Praha is the Times Square. The phrase "World CITIZEN" certainly comes to mind.

Krakow, on the other hand, would go over very well with the Ash/Matt axis, and hopefully everyone else, too...

brandtgassman said...

Also, can't we downsize as simply CLOSE the Suffolk office. A little cost-cutting never hurt...

As for Dulli and The Primals, you'd have to have PLAYED on the Freebass album during your UK trip to impress me, monkey. Take your girlfriend to Tesco and call me in a month.

ashley said...

B, for someone A BROAD, you sure do spend a lot of time here...

mjg. said...

this is getting out of control. mine is the 21st comment to a blog about a KMFDM ep. i'll start a new post which might shock some people.

anyhow, SUMMER MAN, G is currently in the Hawaiian office making sure that all contacts are made and contracts and partnerships signed. feel free to SMS him as he is more responsive than ever.

ps - note i am more euro than fuck b/c i am now only using SMS and not "text". this will only further confuse everyone once i post my next blog. ttfn.

mjg. said...

and yeah SUMMER MAN, you are spending way too much time on the computer for someone aBROAD

ashley said...

What's SMS?

mjg. said...

SMS messaging, ashley, is what american CITIZENS refer to as "text" messaging.

and so goes your euro-lesson of the day sportsfans.

brandtgassman said...

As for me being A BROAD, no one seemed to mention that F posts daily. Oh wait... I forgot. He's not actually in a foreign country. At least not one with any balls. My bad.

In Krakow, Internet Cafe = bar. I have a beer, Czech smokes and 'Net time costs about 10 cents per hour. Who am I to complain?

Anonymous said...

It's always worth coming to visit the mogblog. Thanks for letting the masses know what constitutes a European country. I'll keep it in mind on my next trip through Wien.
And kudos to brandt on his unflagging consistency in inserting an apostrophe before "net."
(wait, does the period go inside the quotes here?)
Love,
D'orge

mjg. said...

the . goes outside of the " " (i'm redefining myself as a minimalist)

mjg. said...

when possible, that is.

ashley said...

with you, it's ALWAYS possible.


- Captain CapsOff

Anonymous said...

MOGcorrespondence, LONDON. 00h49 GMT "Please post to that pussbomb in Praha that all of my posts were from NYC and I haven't posted since I got to London, mostly cause I'm at awesome gigs as opposed hugging Praha balls. Also mention that the country I am in might have no balls because Brandt hugged them to death each night he went to bed at 9pm every night he was here in '01."

End transmission.

F.J. said...

you're referring to Leo, right? cause I never said anything about not going to argentina. I've stalked many of my heroes (like when I watched mani arrive at shephards bush last night) so a quest to find cerati is muy interesante. but honestly, I feel your wanting to go there has more to do with your wanting to wear your shorts in public without judgement. also, you just might want to latch on to my upgrades, know what I mean?

my passport will say buenes aires before it says commack, son.

Your Hero.

ashley said...

The Grandpa gimmick will work ALMOST as well in Aregentina as well as The Summer Man gimmick works is Cambodia, or wherever B is...

brandtgassman said...

Honestly, I think the Speedo is far more ubiquitous among Argentinian men without proper pants. Which would be right up your alley, F. Very flattering.

F.J. said...

I am all for "without proper pants" and would gladly wear a speedo to cerati's pool party. fresco style

mjg. said...

did you mean 'frisco style? as in the very unpopular shortening for San Francisco, where i hear speedos are the naz...

ashley said...

Speaking SF (another no no), I never saw more pent up aggression (heh) than across the bay in Sausalito - I saw two incidents of road rage (as in getting out of the car and into the other driver's FACE) in the span of 30 minutes.

mjg. said...

were they snapping each others speedos?

ashley said...

YES.