15.8.04

Old Rivet, New Tricks

In response to my previous post, the person I called out on the H-bar board regarding KMFDM's MONEY album has responded and with factual back-up to boot. He pointed me to a recent interview with Sascha KMFDM that gives the whole story: "In 1991 we started recording MONEY. MONEY was not supposed to be called MONEY. It was supposed to be called SPLIT because En Esch and I decided to break up during the tour with Thrill Kill Kult in 1990. So we decided that our next recording budget would split half and a half. I would get one half and he would get one half and we would both make 5 songs. Back on those days it was all still on vinyl. So he made 5 songs, I made 5 songs and we threw the coin and decided who gets the A and who gets the B side of the record. WAX TRAX rejected B side which was the En Esch's side. They said it didn't sound like KMFDM at all and that they didn't like it.They didn't want to put it out because it didn't meet the criteria of the label. So they gave us more money. That's why we called it MONEY. That record was all about the money. And I finished up the album without En Esch and certainly that was kinda really bad blood between us because he felt sort of rejected."

This is just a bit of what is probably one of the best interviews I have ever read with Sascha:

http://www.electromeda.net/audio/interviews/sascha_KMFDM.html

It's a good read, though I prefer Lucia interviews. I for one am surprised Wax Trax even rejected stuff back in those days. Discuss. You learn something new every day. And again, hearing stories like this confirms my belief that someone needs to write a book on all of this!

F

No comments: