15.8.04

Revisonist History = Bullshit

A few things on my mind while I have your attention:

On a late night visit to a magazine store on 3rd Ave, I noticed that some "rock" magazine called REVOLVER had not only an article on Ministry, but also some kind of "definitive" history of industrial music in. When I saw a 12 year old photo of Grandpa Al (not related to Grandpa Frank, Ash) I decided not to read the article, and I turned my attention to the horrible, inaccurate and insulting "timeline" of industrial music. While I no longer have any love for the current state of this genre of music (mostly because no one good has come along in about 10 years), I do hold "my" era (late 80's to late 90's) of it dear to my heart. To write something so poor and again, inaccurate, infuriates me beyond belief. The moron "writer" who put this together goes so far as to talk about how Wax Trax founder Dannie Flescher passed away in 1995, when it was in fact Jim Nash. (God rest his soul). To me, this is a huge shitstain on the genre I started my musical career in. Fuck you, Revolver, you piece of shit magazine.

On the subject of I-rock, a member of the Chemlab newsboard stated this regarding KMFDM: "For the money album, En Esch chose to do five songs and have Sascha do the other five, and WaxTrax rejected all of Esch's submissions. " For some reason, I find this hard to believe so I have called this person out to state where this comes from. Some of you who read this are well versed in the history of this music (Meaning: HEY BRANDT), so I ask, have you heard this story before? Answers to come...

I feel its more than necessary for someone to go and write the history of shit shit down in a book and make it accurate. Mr. Gassman has been planning this for some time, often with my encouragement, and I hope being in a band doesn't distract him from writing said book. I constantly watch my employer get frustrated with the massive historical innacuracies in his chosen love, comic books, of which he knows basically everything (and I'm understating that), and I feel I'm going to fall into that same pit of frustration as time marches on. What happens when some 17 year old, curious about the genre, read REVOLVER's History of Industrial Rock and doesn't know better? Bullshit.

Anyhow on a better a note, the Durans first single with the original lineup in a million years has surfaced and it's gay and awesome and is called SUNRISE. I love it. I saw them play this when I saw them in California last year and my agent/lawyer/advistory said as a compliment "ohh, its nice and gay. They sound like The Pet Shop Boys". I liked the song, but felt it was semi weak when I first heard it. Obviously the Durans did too as they have made it a lot harder than I remember it and the results are awesome. It's still nice and gay, but unashamed in it's Duran-ness (listen to that funky bridge), yet entirely modern and NOW. The future bodes well for the full-length album, ASTRONAUT, due out in October.

I smell potential upcoming Album of the Year candidates in Duran Duran, Ian Brown, and Die Warzau. I was hoping for Oasis this year, but I don't think that's happening. Oh, and Saintface, of course! Speaking of which...

Last night, Irene and I spent some quality time "summiting" (as the MOGpac would call it) with Mr. Peter Saintface, who has been way too busy of late to read this blog. Hopefully by now he is caught up, but suffice to say, he is quite busy, still mixing and is THIS CLOSE to finishing the record. I remember being THIS CLOSE to finishing records and there were many weeks and months and in some cases, years, to go. Regardless, I will refrain from bitching about not owning the album at least until I fly back from Paris. Peter is looking well and relaxed, especially for a man THIS CLOSE to finishing an album. He was helpful in my search for this weeks NME (Ian Brown cover!) and encouraging of our adventures to come in the UK and Paris. We then discussed our respective and mutual musical worlds and he is excited to someday meet Charles. Our mutual musical worlds should be criscrossing again sometime in September I believe.

Despite playing a lot of whiffle ball and Star Wars today, I was able to start work on another piece of art for Ash. Maybe he will like this one as much as I like his new songs. We shall see.

Anyhow, there is a pay per view tomorrow that I need to rest up for. Cheers

F

1 comment:

F.J. said...

Ladies and gentlemen, Tom has found the blog!

Seriously though, thanks for the kind words. you don't want me to die though, cause without people like me, bored people like you would have nothing to do.

is your life so unfulfilling that you must attack mine?

in the words of Lou Reed: "My week is better than your year" obviously by your intelligent response, that is the case, citizen.

F