29.2.04

"I'm gonna go have a word with that bitch!"

Back from LA at last. Seemed like I was gone for a month, but I've returned to a welcoming New York that finally has good weather (certainly better than LA, which rained like a mother the whole time). While I did enjoy some leisure time with the kick ass nephew, it was mostly all work, little play, and a few stolen moments to work on some music.

One of my goals in LA was to nail down the audio portion of MOG-X. This required a ton of effort and attention, but thanks to a certain engineer making my life incredibly easy, I made leaps and bounds with it. This has been a good time, a fun experience, with few cringe worthy moments. The truth will be revealed as to what this all means in May. However when in LA, my mouth got the better of me in certain circles just to gague a reaction to this kind of project. Needless to say it went over well.

My priority however was my HF2 vocals. This means driving around all day and night through LA while blasting the demos in the car. I sing along to the scratch vocals in order to get more comfortable with the material so when we go back to record the final vox, the delivery will be more confident. I find this method works best for me. Also, I refuse to do final vocals until we have the drums tracked, so Brandt made it a priority to send me demos that had both scratch vocals AND live drums tracked. The feel, the dynamic totally changes. Anyway, I feel good about the melodies and lyrics and think I can kick some vocal ass when it's time to do the final vox.

Speaking of live drums, the HF crew had a field day in my absence and had several drum sessions. It seems, and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the practice sessions recorded on to tape were very helpful to Robin. I can tell you that though I havent been there for the recording of these drums, what is being sent back to me is nothing short of amazing. It seems Ash and Brandt have achieved a great drum sound and well, I don't have to get into how awesome a drummer my girl Robin is. We're almost there!

On my last day in LA, I spent an evening at the home studio of Leo V23 to go through the track he is working on for us, OUR FAITH. It was mostly dissecting the song and getting into mechanics of it, but I did give him Carte Blanche to get all Cerati on this track. I have a good feeling about this.

Meanwhile it seems now that everything is about catching up with the real world. Not a bad thing. The Oscars are tonight and it shocks me that MASTER AND COMMANDER is nominated. I just watched it and jesus was it boring as hell. Awesome acting, great action, but terrible storytelling. A major disappointment.

F

(the title above comes from the enjoyable French racing film Michel Valliant, which I caught in LA. Fun as hell)

No comments: