22.1.04

Lead into....?

"As of last fall, I am no longer writing music with nor working in the studio with Ministry. After the last tour- and years of collaborating with Al and everyone else we've worked with-I've decided I need to work on other music . So, I AM working on music right now in my studio in Austin. But don't worry. Distortion Rules." --Paul Barker

So, Barker leaves Ministry. 18 years and a few classic records. While Peter Hook inspired me to pick up the bass and play in that style, the first basslines I learned were Barkers. In fact, the first thing I ever programmed was the drumbeat to Lead Into Gold's FASTER THAN LIGHT. It was he, in the legendary IN CASE YOU DIDNT FEEL LIKE SHOWING UP video, that inspired me to save my money to get myself the Gibson Thunderbird bass that I still play today.

So where does this lead? What exactly IS Ministry now? Was the sum better than the parts? We're going to find out soon as Ministry has a record due out in May. I fear the metal. Paul's Pink Anvil album last year, admitted even by Barker himself as a throwaway, was crap, but again, Barker's Lead Into Gold is probably one of my all time favorite projects EVER. It's no secret my one remaining Holy Grail in music is the lost Lead Into Gold EP called LOW AND SLOW. I'm hoping Barker doesn't stray into metal territory. Actually, I feel the same way about Al. The worst part of this is now the oft-discussed RevCo reunion is now off. That's the true crime.

I hope Al and Paul both continue to entertain us for years to come, but I want to love it the way I did in my youth. Inspire me!

F

No comments: