31.1.04

BUTTER SPREAD!

Been spending some time hanging out with Irene at home and working on loops for Jared's new project, which I think he would describe as "broken word". He's working with Mark Spyby of Dead Voices on Air, and they've asked me to send them loops and noises and such to work with. I've drafted B into this as well. I've got some ideas flowing, certainly enough to send them in the next few weeks. Dunno anything more about the project than that. However, it's nice to be asked to be a part of it.

My pal Gilez, he of the reknowned Armalyte Industries, was kind enough to send me a copy of his label's latest release: Haloblack's THROB. This version is slightly different than the one I've had for a year or so. The final version has an new track called FEEL which might be the best track on the album. It's fast and synthy and sexy and different for Bryan and co. Honestly, the album needed this as well, as the pacing is a bit on the trip hop side. However, that works for me as I quite like the album. Also, a track I hadn't heard called PERMANENCE towards the end really adds some nice atmosphere to the album. The production is super and the mastering job is top notch. It's "throbbing" out of my new Bose speakers right now (thanks Irene).Of course, the Raymond Watts cameo is always welcome. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am curious to see how the die-hards respond to it, especially after reading some of the reactions to the Chemlab album (which range from "I love it" to "I like it, but it's not Chemlab").

Grabbed the new CURE box set and was quite pleased with that. The sound is great and while I am a big fan, I didn't own anything on this other than maybe the song from the CROW soundtracks. Therefore, this package is a big win. I'm weird and very unlike my mates with certain bands like The Cure and Depeche Mode in that to me their later years are more interesting to me than the early stuff. I mean, you KNOW Matt Gentile (even if you dont know him) sits around listening to STANDING ON A BEACH and SPEAK AND SPELL while I sit around listening to WISH and SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION, thinking these are the classics. Anyway, this Cure Box has given me an appreciation of those early years and a lot of solid remixes and B-sides from the later years to make me happy. This Box is a winner.

Made a trek out to my birthplace last night in Brooklyn, to check out the 'Face at some club for hipsters. It was an awesome venue, with a large stage and nice sound, and this made very a VERY solid evening of Saintface. Big crowd too. Cheap drinks as well. Two hipsters were dancing next to me. The venue and atmosphere obviously amped the band up quite a bit as they gave one of their best performances I have ever seen. Also, the re-introduction of YOU COULD BE MY SECRET was ace. I wonder if that means its on the album, Peter? Anyway, I think band was in good spirits and always my time spent chatting away with the lads is always welcome. Peter informs me the album is progressing nicely. Oh how I want that album!

After, G and I, with a few pints each in us, ran to a KFC drive through while they were closing and each bought a biscuit. They had no honey, which G was very pissed off about, but they had plenty of butter spread, which i threw at Matt and Jax. All and all a fun evening.

Now I am off to the Isle of Long to watch me drummer in action as we record her for HF2. More later on that.

F

No comments: