10.1.04

" It takes someone like you to remind me that we aren't misguided completely.........."

I have to admit, I have been musically unproductive as of late. That's mostly because of the holidays and everyone is scattered, etc. There was a loose gameplan to try and record some more drums this week. The drummer and I were up for it, but Ash didn't feel comfortable doing it without Brandt, and it might have been more of a hassle than productive. Also, one of Ash's many projects, the glitch-y sounding Carbon Framework, which is quite good, has been picked up by a label and he has to rush some material out for a 12 inch. Congrats Ash!

Meanwhile, the musical behind the scenes always keeps me busy. I had my first Chemlab hissy-fit this week, for reasons I can't reveal, but unlike the aggression, where I treat everything like a soap opera, I tried to not be melodramatic about this. Like every album or band, there have been a few hiccups along the way, some I brush aside, others I tackle full on. In the aggression, I'm the "boss" so it means juggling 100 different things. In Chemlab, I'm able to focus more on certain things, while Jared, as "boss" focuses on the many issues. I think my job with Chemlab beyond the music is to give perspective, which is why Mr. Novak suggested my "quality control" credit on the album. I should give Ash or Brandt one of those on Hypefactor, maybe? (no fuckin' way!)

Sadly, but not life-threatening, Chemlab has been moved back 2 weeks. Usually it's time to blame the label, but this time its Caroline's fault. No surprises there. However, this is locked now. February 10th. I'm happy with today's reaction on the Chemlab site to the song BINARY NATION, which started in this very computer. I think this is one the kids will latch on to when they get the album. Very proud of that song. I've gotta learn to keep my gob shut when the narrow-minded dumbasses spuzz their stupid thoughts on the music on the sites. I feel like the defender of the cause. Well, you can't make everyone happy, I understand this, and I know people aren't going to love everything you do, but for fucks sake state the opinion with some intelligence ONCE. We'll get the point. Douches. However, that's just a small portion of the kids. I've beeen getting a lot of nice and well-thought out feedback from people. Even if they don't like it, I like that they really put their minds to it and gave it a fair shot.

Anyway, the point of all this is that OXIDIZER is now available for pre-order. If you're smart, order it via the Hydrogenbar.com site. I'm hoping to have some copies next week, but Mark Mohtashemi and The Kidd might blow gaskets if I don't give them copies soon.

Speaking of Pre-Orders, Haloblack's THROB is also available for pre-order (see www.thesickcity.com for details). I point this out because the album is being released by my dear friend Gilez over in the UK via his label Armalyte (http://www.armalyte.com/). Gilez has come a long way in the few years I've known him. Introduced to me by jared, Gilez put us on his Defcon 1 compilation and then brought the aggression over to the UK in 2001 for the release show. We've remained friends ever since . He's a helluva guy and a good family man. He works hard and it's good to see him being able to release an album of this calibre. It legitimizes him. Gilez and I spent a significant portion of the day yesterday trading secrets and ideas on how to eventually work together. We even laid out the terms of our deal. This could happen 10 years from now for all I know. It's not going to be Hypefactor, and probably not the aggression. But I know what Gilez wants for his label and it meshes with what I'm feeling like doing post-EXIT STRATEGIES. More on this, much later. MUCH.

Been struggling with the passing of a friend this holiday season, but I woke up this morning to a nice letter from a certain keyboardist in a band I have made no secret of adoring. It was a simple note expressing his appreciation for my support of said band. This started things with a smile, so kudos to the keyboardist in question. Made my day!

Off to LA on Monday. Not going to miss this horribly cold weather. Luckily for irene, she's coming out as well, so she can get away from this too. I'm hoping to have Chemlab copies next week, so I'll report in.

Bless

F





No comments: