31.12.08

Oh Eight?

Here we are at the end of a topsy turvey fucking year. I mean really. Lotta big changes went down, both personally and professionally. Things change, things remain the same, but luckily, we move ahead. Obviously, getting engaged was the highlight of 08, and I'm sure by now you all know the story with THAT.

The Best of lists aren't going to happen this year, it requires too much effort and time, neither of which I have at the moment. I just went back and looked at my best of list LAST year and see I had the same dilemma. I thought I was being bad ass and shit. I will tell you though, The Joy Division Doc and The Dark Knight was my fave movies this year I'm pretty sure. Maybe one of the best movies ever. No movie made me feel like that. The Wrestler came mad close. It was fun to see Indy, but I'm a Lucas apologist so I couldn't tell you if it was good or not. I loved my own movie. I'll love it more someday when it's a cult classic.

Music wise, I'm hard pressed to think of my fave album this year, though Peka's album probably got the most play and I truly think he is a mad genius. The Brits: Oasis, Verve, and Primals all put out good albums, but they all seemed like 3/4 good and the rest were bsides. But I can't complain. The Verve's Love is Noise is by far my anthem of 08. Amazing tune. The Verve were almost my gig of the year, but then Trent Reznor decided to show up on my birthday around here and clubbed me over the head to remind me of his relevance. Thus, NIN is gig of the year. The New Order reissue drama was fun to watch unfold, so I give the reissue awards to Mr. Johnny Marr for his work on the Smiths best of the singles box which sits here on my desk. I think Screen Vinyl Image and The December Sound record was my big surprises for great new bands, and I am of course following The Dossier very closely. Maybe too closely ;-)

I'm sure you people will remind me of shit I missed above and this will be updated frequently.

I wrote a LOT this year, much to the detriment of this blog. I finally officially became a comic book writer this year, thanks to the folks at Tokyopop and DC Comics. You'll see the fruits of said labour very soon. I hope to get more work in that field. Lord knows I'm trying. I miss writing about the great sport, but the economy has put a halt to that. Hopefully that will change. I really enjoyed that.

I also officially became a movie producer, but you knew about that.

I think 09 is gonna be one of those years that will stand out. Lotta potential. Gonna get married, gonna finish Hypefactor, gonna make shit HAPPEN. I actually can't wait to tell you about the next musical MOG project, which is gonna turn some heads. I think the movie I am most excited for in 09 is STAR TREK, for obvious reasons, and we have albums from Cerati, Kasabian, Telefon Tel Aviv, Jarvis and a slew of others coming up. Maybe I'll finally see Oasis in 09 and the question is: Freebass?

I wish you all nothing but wonderful things in the 09. Both friends and frenemies.

Oh. And the beard stays.

2 comments:

mjg. said...

bands: the domino state; just waiting for the record...
shows: tsom at irving; c'mon!

F.J. said...

TSOM goes down as easily one of the top nights out this year for SURE. Amazing evening!

Yes, I'm excited about Domino State, your excellent discovery this year!