19.3.07

Weekend Update

It was one of those nice, casual weekends, when shit goes according to plan, the food is delicious, good times are had, the drinks go down without pain, the records arrive at the store, you don't miss the important calls, you get just enough sleep, the train is at the station, the gig is good, progress is made and most important of all, the tunes sound amazing.

Before the weekend arrived, MOGworld had an impromptu visit from the sorely missed Mattagement, who popped in for a bit to wii like men. He is FIERCE on the wii! Cam will have some new competition. Matt is a worthy wiiman. Here, observe men wiiing:



Friday saw Todd Ryan finally get me hooked to Last.FM. Why I am into this, I don't know, but I for some reason like seeing a list of all the shit I listen to. It's very Big Brother, but I am feeling it at the moment. So you will now have justifiable reason to make fun of me for listening to Andy Gibb and then Ministry. Check my shit out: http://www.last.fm/user/Hypefactor

Friday night was the night to chill. Irene and I watched my newly purchased DVD of the Oscar winning THE DEPARTED, which she had yet to see. She, like myself, is a big INFERNAL AFFAIRS fan, so I was curious as to what she would think of the movie. She had a very similar reaction to me, which was HEY, THIS IS AWESOME BUT INFERNAL AFFAIRS IS SO MUCH BETTER. I actually enjoyed the movie a lot the second time. A worthy addition to the collection.

On Saturday, I made my usual Rebel Rebel Run for B and I before we engaged in the HF experionce. Chas braved the weather and the 8 feet of snow up in the Chest to come down to rock the low end on the recent track AZUMI and the hidden track I'LL CALL MY GUY, and to re-visit some older tracks. Honestly, he fucking KILLED. I can't make it any more simple. He just takes a track and makes it his bitch. There's no better hangover cure than to hear awesome tunes fresh out of the computer. Jesus Christ what this kid did to the songs is the sweet shit. We're getting there. The ride just went to a whole other level. We did our masculine dinner at Dokebi, my treat. I treat my mates good, right? Anyhow, despite the stupid fucking drunk st patty douchebags, we were able to drink our sake and have a few laughs. I'd call this evening a full success. Brandt is still cleaning the semen off his monitor. He's young, control comes with age. He also HATES Ben Stiller and grows violent at mere movie trailers featuring said douche.

They kept working while I met Irene at the Marcy Street station and we went to her mate's house in Brooklyn for a gathering. I think it was to celebrate someone, but I got too drunk to remember. Irene's friends are pretty cool, so i always have a good time hanging out with them, and this couple in particular, Nick and Jess, always seem to have cool food at their parties. This is a plus and led to me eating a cupcake with Prociotto (the nicely thin sliced Italian Ham. if you know me, this is not a big deal as your hero love that shit). This may seem like a gross dare, but it was actually more funny entertaining wow he really loves that shit. It was fun, a good time, and I got pretty knackered, but just short of being embarassing as Irene was speaking to me the next morning. However, I apologize for all of you I drunk texted and/or threatened to kill. But that's the average F day, isn't it? Super. Here, observe your hero cupcaking:



I woke up surprisingly with no hangover, which I think has to do with the fact I consumed so much food that all the booze got soaked up. Irene went to work and I clowned in Brooklyn with my folks before heading to Mercury Lounge to see Fuijia and Miyagi's first of several sold out shows here in the city. I like the album, and was interested in checking them out. I was actually really impressed with the live show, moreso than I liked the album. I liked their approach which was guitar and bass and then vintage drum machines and Korg keyboards running all the electronics. I had been under the impression it was with laptops, but no computers on this. It worked much better than the CD and their earlier material is much more dance, so it got the crowd moving. Fun gig, I would check them out again.

In music, I can't stand the new Modest Mouse, which has Johnny Marr on it. The problem's not with the music, its with the guy who is singing, whose band I guess this is and has some mysterious hold over Johnny to get him to be a member of this shit band. If this guy wasn't singing, I might like it. I do like the new Tracey Thorn, cause it's mellow and nonthreatening and if you like EBTG, be sure to check it out. I dig the new LCD Soundsystem, but now can't seem them in May cause we'll be vacationing in Italy (I just said vacationing, i have been waiting like 4 years to say that here). The hits of the week were the recent Depeche reissues, the two this time being CONSTRUCTION TIME AGAIN and BLACK CELEBRATION, which both sound super and the docs on the DVD portions are AMAZING and totally worth getting. I have to admit I wasnt overly familiar with CTA, but with this re-release I have really gotten into it. No surprise, as it's the first album with aWild (Matt's new name for Alan Wilder) on it. What I love about these reissues is that every forward by Daniel Miller and every documentary is about the awesomeness of aWild, which I am sure aVen loves. That's Ash.

Now its off the left coast as B keeps sending in these awesome revised demos from Saturday's session. I'l report from LA at some point. Stay classy. Asshole.

F

No comments: