2.12.06

The Music Dies



My city and youth are rapidly being stripped from yet again, as my beloved Music Palace, the last great Chinatown movie theatre, has finally been demolished. Yes, it's been closed for like 6 years but to now see it just gone is too much for me to bear. I have so many memories of going to this place. I used to sneak down there when I was 12/13 and just watch whatever was playing at the time. Back then, you had no internet, no way of knowing when the next Jackie movie would play. It was all about timing. Weather meant nothing to me. Snow, rain, I didn't give a shit. All I needed was some pork buns and a hot bowl of soup from Wanton Garden and I was set for the day. My two favourite memories being there are 1. Watching DRUNKEN MASTER 2 with a packed house that went insane for every move Jackie made and 2. Watching Stephen Chow's KING OF COMEDY in an empty house with Lurch and G and just crying laughing the entire time. I saw hundreds of movies in this place and I will miss it like a lost friend.

This is an excellent tribute to it as well as the other Chinatown movie theatres (its where I cribbed the photo from):

http://subwaycinema.com/frames/musicpalace2.htm

No comments: