11.12.06

I'll Call My Guy

It's been very difficult to sit and actually type to you and I apologize for that. It's been busy, as I'm sure you can imagine. What is usually my quietest time of year has become the busiest. It's been a regular madhouse of work, screenings, gigs and forward momentum on the Hypefactor front.

Last week, we checked out a few screenings. The first was PAN's LABYRINTH, directed by the massively fucking awesome Guillermo del Toro. Man, this guy is so talented. I loved HELLBOY and I just think this is a guy who has it. PAN's is his original idea and it's a very scary, violent adult fairy tale. This is certainly on my top 10 of the year. It's a post WWII fantasy about a young girl coming to grips with a violent world that she has been thrusted into. This movie is so smart, so moving. I loved every second of it. del Toro is a very unique and special talent.

Then, Irene and I checked out BLOOD DIAMOND, which I went into with very low expectations. I was mildly surprised how it didn't suck. It's way too fucking long, and at the end it's way too preachy, but it's the first DiCaprio movie I ever watched with Irene where she didn't complain about him, so I think that means he's good in this (not as good as THE DEPARTED obviously), but its my man Djmon Honsou who owns this movie and brings it to a level it probably never should have reached. Awesome work from an extremely talented actor. This is very good commercial filmmaking. It's not going on my best of or anything, but it was certainly a satisfying movie.

I am hard pressed to remember some of the events of the week. I know I had dinner with Lurch, the feminine awesomeness of his friend Adrienne and even more feminine awesomeness of Doug Menin, who introduced us a sweet Afghan place right near my apartment. A great pick up line was invented: "IF YOU CHARM ME, I WILL SPARE YOU". I think Adrienne said this, but knowing Lurch, he will claim it as his own. He has a habit of doing that.

The weekend saw me visit my stylist, yes I look good even though I fell asleep in the chair, and then we went on to do an insane amount of Christmas shopping with Irene. It was hard work but mostly done. Saturday night was the one night I wanted to stay home and do nothing. We were both falling alseep on the couch. But we had previous plans, which included my younger cousin, so there were out boozing till the wee hours, which was a terrible idea in retrospect as we had to have brunch with my folks that next morning. Oh, and I don't apologize to doucheface for my opinions of him and his music, I do apologize to my bandmate Brandt for my texting him nonstop about said encounter and opinion. Oh well. A little piss and vinegar from your hero every now and then is a good thing. I think. I mean, they suck. Truly. I don't deal well with assholes claiming to have previously been in my favourite band in NYC. No.

Sunday was band day, but honestly, your hero went to Brooklyn, ate dounuts, and rested his head on the desk while Brandt made some beats and Charles laid down some bassy goodness. I was useless though I occasionally put forth an idea or two. Good work all around, mostly because I was in pain, but awesome work nonetheless. Progress is good. The tunes are solid and galaxies better than any shit band pretending to be Oasis and claiming to have been in Saintface. Then we were joined by the 4th Levellers of Ash and Justin and we had a nice group dinner at that Korean/Japanese place that I keep forgetting the name of even though Brandt posts it in the responses every time I say that. Anyhow, Ash and I split the table grill and I cooked for him. Irene's mom would be so proud of me.

Then we drove to somewhere who the fuck knows in some industrial section of Greenpoint to see Maserati yet again. I was told incorrectly that they were headlining and playing a longer set than last week, but instead they were opening and playing in a an empty diner. I loved the location, cause it was just a band set up in a diner, not a real venue per se and of course you can stick these guys anywhere and they'll rock your ass to the ground, which they did again. JERRY IS SO FUCKING AWESOME YOU CANT BELIEVE IT. I'm not making that up either. However, the gig was wrecked when some dumb fucking cunt boys who were moshing (who the fuck moshes other than teenagers) FELL THROUGH THE GEAR! THROUGH JERRYS GEAR! and the gig was over on a shit note. We hung around and drank crap beer in a deserted diner while Ash chatted his boy Jerry. And then that was it. While I was exhausted and didn't want to go, I do enjoy the company of the guys and Ash made a point after in that it felt like the old days, work on music, go see a band everyone is into, be inspired and then go and make more awesome music that is better than the britpop bullshit some guy with a bad combover who thinks he is Noel Gallagher when he actually writes songs on the level of the magician Gallagher. Thats what we do, thats how we roll. Thats why HF is going to give you favourite album of 07 soon.

Special kudos to Matt Gentile for getting the historical videos rolling again. I hope this becomes a regular thing! He's got the editing talent to make this fucking sweet ass.

F

No comments: