24.5.06

I-Tunes is Worldwide Stupid

I hate Itunes. I do. Why? Because of some international law, the Itunes stores are divided by country. Meaning, if you live in the US, you can only buy from the US Itunes store and not from the UK one, Japan one, etc. And why does this infuriate me? Well, because the different stores have different catalogues and as you know, I am not one for American music. As an anglophile, the UK Itunes store appeals to me on a strong level. Now, I know a lot of you don't buy from the I-Tunes store, but thanks to various Christmas presents (Thanks G) and other assorted freebies, I have a lot of of songs that I could buy. However, there's very little I want. Some labels, like DFA and Output are smart cause they put their vinyl only releases up on Itunes and I have been able to listen to new stuff like Shit Robot, that I normally could not get. In some instances, there are also cool Itunes exclusives like various Duran Duran remixes and things of that nature that are worth the 99 cents. Sometimes, I check out new bands this way as well. I'll always be a CD buyer, cause I want to hold the actual item and look at the artwork etc, but I see Itunes as a valid avenue to hear things I couldn't normaly get. Now this international law is bullshit. This means I couldn't purchase Kasabian's Live At Brixton Academy album last year and now I can't buy Richard Ashcroft's exclusive Itunes session. HE RECORDED IT FOR ITUNES for fucks sake IN A GODDAMN APPLE STORE. I'm sure a lot of this is label politics as well, but come on ya dumbfuck, don't wonder way people are stealing shit off the net. I can't buy Kasabian but I can buy the guy who won Canadian Idol (which they dont tell you about when pushing him here). Wack.

The reason I brought this up was not because of my frustration with them, but because they at least put ONE thing I was looking for on Itunes US this week, which is Doves Some Cities Live EP, which is 6 tracks of their recent tour playing tracks from what was, as you know if you read this blog regularly, my album of the year last year. As you may recall, they were the big surprise when I saw them open for Oasis last year in Staten island and this EP captures the band being the top notch live show I enjoyed so much. Some Cities is a great fucking record, and somehow live, these guys are able to bring the songs to a less grey, more technicolor scale. That sounds fucking stupid writing it, but if you hear this you might get me. Great tunes, awesome band and a cool internet only EP that the US store actually put out. About time.

Listen, if I learned anything this week, it's you don't raid Chinese consulates, inadvertantly kill the head consulate during said raid, and expect to get away with it. No sir. The Chinese do not fucking care if you just saved the world and had the best season of television ever. As soon as you are done, you are getting your ass kicked, getting thrown onto a boat, and getting your ass hauled off to China. That's how it is. However, should you not do any of the above, you can go get some Sizzling Rice Soup, which I did yet again last night. Tasty.

F

No comments: