20.5.06

BRANDT IS POISIONED

Here I am, back again and finding myself with an unscheduled day off as Brandt is supposedly in hospital with food poisoning! Speedy recovery to the young man (I can't even make fun), and B, if you're reading this, I'll do the CD run this afternoon. However, this has given me the day to work on some of the record on my own as I find myself this week re-working a problematic song on the record, CREATION PHASE, which I have been charged to "do something with it" to get it to work. I'm on it, kids. This is the big album rocker. We'll nail it soon.

Anyhow, I did something cool this week. Ric Meyers, my dear friend of over 20 years, and mentor in the world of asian cinema, recently dropped me a line asking if I would be interested in joining him in doing DVD commentaries for some upcoming releases for Tai Seng video (who are one of the biggest distrubtors of asian films here in the states http://www.taiseng.com/) as I supposedly, after probably 30 years of watching Asian movies more than I ever have American films, it is believed I know a thing or two on the subject. This required me travelling to CT via train to meet Ric, Tai Seng's Head of Marketing (and Opera nut) Frank, and Scooter, the sound guy. We sat in Ric's lair (awesome for any film geek) and proceeded to do commentaries on two HK movies: Johnnie To's recent classic RUNNING ON KARMA (reviewed elsewhere on this blog), and the not so classic older Jet Li film NEW LEGEND OF SHAOLIN. Frank, Ric, and I did the audio commentaries for the upcoming domestic releases of the 2 films, which should be out in the fall. We easily fell into our roles (Ric and Frank have been doing this for a bit and were very helpful in educating me on what to do): Ric is the encylcopedia of all things HK film, Frank is the cultural guru (and all also packed with great info on the world of film), and I was sorta the "film" guy and resident wise-ass. I found a lot of my film school training coming to the forefront, which was very cool. It was a fucking blast, really. I hope they invite me to do this again. I'll let you know when the DVD's are coming out!

I found myself flying solo the other night as Irene had writer meetings and all of the guys seemingly had plans, so what's a boy to do? Well, as I have done since I was able to figure out the subway system as a small boy, I journey down to the Chinatown and roam the streets in search of movies and Sizzling Rice. I succeeded on both levels and capped the evening by eating the soup of the gods while watching FEARLESS, Jet Li's new movie and supposed swan song to the period martial arts film. What a way to go!! It's his best acting and fighting in ages and I loved it. It's not a great movie, in fact its more of a drama than a straight action film, but man did I enjoy it. Get this on DVD before the Weinstiens rape it and edit it.

Last night saw the MOGpac finally make it to the Angelika to see the Nick Cave written motion picture THE PROPOSITION, which was awesome. Ultra hard, ultra violent and basically a Nick Cave song come to life. The actors are amazing in this and the movie is just intense as fuck. Then we had to pee:



Having peed, then we ate. Then we drank. I haven't had that many shots in ages. This of course leads to hazy dancing:



In my own drunkiness I think I laughed for 5 minutes at this sticker, which was in the bathroom of the bar we were at:



Of course, since its the weekend, that means KRUGER BABY CUTENESS, now taken to new levels of awesomeness:





As I finish this, Brandt is back home recuperating and we send him the best wishes. See you soon, bitches.

F

No comments: