22.12.05

That time...

It's been a fun week of old friends and long walks. The lawyer/agent/advisor dropped in for some brunch on Monday with Irene and myself on Monday. I skipped Jury Duty for this, so that should show you how highly regarded the L/A/A is here at MOGworld by myself and the S.O. Anyhow, we chatted the morning away while dining on the lovely French brunch at Les Halles (where we brunched with said L/A/A's sister just a few weeks ago). It's good to be able to just take some time and catch up with the old school. Speaking of the L/A/A and the old school, please direct your attention to the following website: www.myspace.com/virustwentythree. This is a good for a laugh thanks to my only pal Leo.

The transit strike kicked in on Tuesday, which made the walk to Jury Duty a chilly experience. Because I know that area downtown so well, it's easy for me to navigate and time it properly, so I was making it down there in under 45 minutes. However, the mornings have been rather fucking freezing. The way back isn't so bad as it's usually warmer in the afternoon and I make the various pit stops (New Green Bo, the DVD stores etc.)

Tuesday saw the former lead singer arriving from his OTHER home in Delaware where we will be joining him and his family in the new year for a few days. He writes, he makes babies, he has a good life. A long evening at Poetessa where we talked shop, ate and drank well and argued over Star Wars. His son's first words will be PREQUEL if i have anything to say about it. This was a very fun evening in which I lent him a series of films by my favourite HK director Johnnie to.

Speaking of Johnnie To, I finally saw his long-awaited new film ELECTION, which centers around two gangsters and their quest to become elected chairman of their "society" (read "triad"). It's an awesome and fresh exploration of the underworld, and it's code of ethics which is undercut by a shocking ending that honestly freaked me out. To's "Deniro" Simon Yam again stars and the other Tony Leung (the taller older one, not the handsome fucker from Infernal Affairs and 2046) finally impressed me after like 20 years. Louis Koo, star of my fave film last year THROWDOWN (also a Johnnie To film), is in this as well, but is underused. Supposedly there is a 3 hour version of this movie and a sequel in the works (which might explain the abrupt ending). Also, I was VERY happy to see the legendary David Chiang (star of all the great 70's Shaw Bros costume dramas). Great filmmaking. Johnnie To is the most unique director on the planet right now. His range is astounding.

The OTHER great Hong Kong movie of the year is called SPL and also stars Simon Yam. This time though, he plays a cop who teams up with his successor as squad leader, played by the slightly gay yet insane martial artist Donnie Yen to take on his rival, a gangster played by the my childhood hero Sammo Hung. The movie wasn't as action packed as I had hoped, but when there's action there is FUCKING ACTION and is intense as fuck. I jumped out of my seat several times. It's brutal and the fighting has gone to a new level. It's basically an 90's HK action movie with modern sensibilities and better storytelling. The actors are great and for the first time in ages, I was truly excited by the action I was seeing. No doubt with Sammon Hung and Donnie Yen involved, the shit is off the chart. This is getting released in the states and totally deserves it.

Now I must leave you as Uncle Duty begins yet again tomorrow...My your holidays be bright and wonderful.

F

No comments: