6.12.05

I The Jury

JURY DUTY occupies my mornings at the moment. Grand Jury no less, which is actually kind of cooler than regular jury duty because you hear lots of cases and you dont decided if anyone is guilty or not, just if they go to trial or not. I can live with this. I can live without some of the people on the jury, but this is life. However, for all the inconvenience this causes, the courthouse is literally a 4 minute walk from New Green Bo, so I'll be drowning in Sizzling Rice Soup for the rest of the year.

I big FUCK YOU to Lurch who hasn't or somehow lost the blog entry that detailed our Friday night that included a very drunk G, the legendary Murray, a styrofoam fight on 14th Street, several lesbians and a chick who looked like Ed Norton. As per MOGpac rules, the drunkest is getting pushed into the nearest pile of trash, and Danny was the winner this week:



So last night, Irene, Philip (my stylist, seriously), and several others made it to the Nokia to check out Goldfrapp's US appearance this year. For the record, I am not too educated on this band beyond their first album, which is super and the new album, which Irene plays a lot and I like a lot. Honestly, I got the tickets for Irene, but man, was I glad I did. I know I was in for a fun night when we hooked up with current and former members of Saintface who were giddy in a way that can only be compared to me at an advance Star Wars screening. Anyway, they come on with a full band, and they were fucking excellent. The sound was crystal, the presentation was incredible and dang this chick can sing. Anything a human being can play was played: drums, guitars, bass, violin, you name it. Why the fuck is the fucking weak ass Bravery opening for Depeche Mode and not this? Theyre on the same fucking label for fucks sake, Mute (who's boss, Daniel Miller, was chatted up for a bit by Peter Saintface.) Anyhow, this was a pleasant surprise and one of the best gigs I saw this year for sure.

My dear old friend Chris Connelly has a new CD out called "Lounge, Ax, Bottle, Elsewhere - 94/01" which is a sweet disc of rare tracks, demos and live tunes during his solo career available only on his website www.chrisconnelly.com. The tunes on this rival his best work and he just simple never fails. Having met him when I was a tender yet INDUSTRIAL (rrrr) teenager, he remains a sweet guy who lives for his music. Also, the late great William Tucker pops up here, which is an added bonus). Music this good is why I will not be attending the "Revolting Cocks" gig next year. What I woulda paid to see Connelly open for Cale this year in Chicago!

F

1 comment:

fuss said...

Oooh, I bet that Goldfrapp show was awesome. I've had Ooh La La in heavy rotation for weeks and I didn't even hear about the show until it was too late. Glad I have you to keep me in the know.