30.5.04

Wait, is Shrek the Ogre in Skinny Puppy?

First things first, thanks to the Quizmo website, I have created "Test Your MOGness" quiz for the members of the MOGpac. This quiz is designed mostly for the 8 or so people that would possibly get it, but dammit of those 8 people who have taken it thus far, there has been much amusement. It really takes the piss out of the whole crew. Further to the 24 Quiz discussed previously, Brandt took it and was Tony, and Ash took it and was Michelle, Tony's wife. If you know these people, this makes perfect sense. Then Dan Hamill took it and was Kim Bauer, Jack's daughter, which in this silly world of ours, makes even sense that G himself would be a hot chick...

Moving on...

Being as burnt out as I am from the recent LA adventure and then subsequent real life work related matters that have kept me from home this week, I was excited to have a good nights rest yesterday and then hit the studio for a solid (half day) or work. We began with the computer-based grunt work of adding the new parts Leo did in LA for OUR FAITH to the original song file. I loved the arrangement Leo and I conceived for the song, so it was my job to get that in shape. Arrangement is one of my strong points, so while this may be a boring job for some, this is my bread and butter. It didnt take too long, but I wanted to spend some time going through everything thats been recorded for the song to see what would stay and go. By doing this, I was able to create a cool blend of the original (recorded with Jamie Birthday Boy Duffy) and the new version (recorded with Leo). We got us a hot song here.

Next was more fun, as I finally got to get my musical hands on the latest track, DESCRIPTIVE, which I had yet to do anything but arrange. As I type, I'm waiting for B to send over the mp3 of it, but we created a new intro that has all the elements of the chorus, minus the guitars, but with the addition of some F-Bass. Brandt wants this song to end as a fade, so we added this bass to the fading chorus at the end. Inspired, I began writing some lyrics down so I wouldn't forget while B added some synth and strings to the chorus. I'm really loving this song, and while I don't think it fits on the album (and was never intended to be), I am enormously proud of what my mates did here and I hope we can play this baby live.

Upon discussing where we are at with the albun, it's been decided to start vocals earlier than planned as the drum editing is going to slow for my tastes (however, this will bring us nothing short of perfection thanks to B). So I should be back there on Monday starting this.

It was too nice outside after a few crap days of weather, so B and I hit the record shop for our usual round of spending way too much. Got the new MOJO/NME special on The Smiths and seeing Oasis on the cover of the new Q made my day.

Later that night, Irene, G and I went to see SHREK 2. I am not a big fan of the first one, which I liked, but damn this second one is HILARIOUS, thanks in part to really funny voice work from Antonia Banderes and Rupert Everett. Really funny, go see it.

And now I must prepare for the long awaited Pizza-Off event in which Irene and my dad will battle to see who makes the better Pizza here at MOGworld. My dad, who doesnt cook is about to get his ass handed to him I think, as Irene makes a damn fine Pizza. The Winner in all this is ME, who gets to eat all of this!

F

No comments: