7.11.03

Some Velvet Morning When I Blog

Out of touch, but a little bit of time, so here I am...

Took a quick post-24 runner over to the studio the other night to make some cosmetic changes to SOLAR (yes, the real title), 1956 (yes, the real title), and EXIST (yes, real title). When listening to the versions that came out from Saturday's awesome session, I realized a few tweaks needed to be made. EXIST in particular, needed a bit of a change in the intro as the post-saturday one, as S.O. pointed out, sounded exactly like a certain song by a British artist of some note. I went and got the song in question and sure enough, she was right on. It was a minor tweak, but worth it.

SOLAR, the album closer, had a bit too much Hookbass in it, so to keep the impact of that sound fresh in the song, I took stuff I had written for the verses out. There's a great ending to this song, which could be compared to The Cure in their prime. To flesh this section out, B played some sweet piano over it.

I was only in the studio for a few hours, but they were hours well spent.

Now we are trying to formulate a gameplan for the next stage, meaning, its time for the live drums for the first 7 or so songs. Also on the agenda will be to write a track in the rehearsal space with the full band. I had wanted Peter Saintface to get on on this part, but he is neck-deep in the 'Face record, and we're gonna have to be patient while he does his thing there. If I didn't want that Saintface record so badly, I might be upset ;-)

While all THIS is going on, the Chemlab machine is in full swing. The new mixes came in from Jared and Joolz and I'm pleasantly surprised that they were able to take a Chemlab album and mix it to sound even MORE like Chemlab. I wish I had been there, but my comments, as always, are nitpicky. Meanwhile, the new website, complete with message board, is now functioning and I find myself posting left and right and innundated with instant messages about the album, the ep, and anything else related to it. The kids are jazzed for this album and I'm confident it will deliver. Meanwhile, Jared is getting the EP ready in Chicago and I myself am dying to see and hear the final result. I worked on 4 of the 6 tracks and did the artwork for it. It's the first thing kids are going to hear from the new Lab and I am (understandably) excited and paranoid at the same time.

The fan who wrote from Germany wrote to tell me that Tinman wrote him back and he has ordered his aggression CD's. Good! Now watch, he'll fucking hate it...

F

No comments: