3.8.03

"So, wait, Hypefactor is ONE word?"

During my recent West Coast jaunt, I couldn't get focused on the HF2 material, mostly because the Chemlab mixes were rolling in and it was hard to switch gears. I've written music long enough to know not to force myself into doing anything or it's just gonna suck... I usually have to wait for the songs to call out to me...

Well, today I got that call and finally got my ass in gear. I started at 8am with the intention of doing the Audio Warfare remix, but the next time I looked, it was 3pm and I had arranged four HF2 songs. I'm REALLY happy with what I've put together. The bulk of the time was spent filtering through what's been played and picking out the best takes to use. Luckily, the talented people who have been playing on this record have given me a lot to choose from and work with.

I then went out for a stroll that ended up being several hours. I had to force myself to get something to eat, find out what's going on in the world, and listen to new CD purchases without distraction. Some of my time was spent with Peter Saintface, who I always have time for. We caught up on all things HF and SF. They are far along with the recording of their new EP, however, after their gig this coming weekend, Peter is off for 2 weeks in Paris. Poor guy ;-) Of course, the lightbulb went off in my head to steal some of his bandmates to come write with us while he is away. He likes that idea. When he returns, he's going to come into the studio to hear what we have.

I went back home and went at it a few more hours, mostly polishing what I had done today and starting the arragement for one more song. Unlike the old days, this would normally be declared as the final arrangements, but this stage is more for us to figure out what else is needed in each song and what we have to do to flesh everything out. It's a true work in progress. Also, I'm taking into account that live drums are going to go over these songs as well. Thank God I have an amazing drummer...

I might go into the studio to hear what Brandt has done with some of the guitars and to give him a feel for what progress I have made here at MOGworld. There's no deadline yet, so we can really take our time and do it right. This evening I finally explained to the label that Hypefactor is ONE word, not two. What a productive day!

Oh and I cooked too!

F

No comments: