15.8.03

Blackout! Burnout!

En route back to NY finally. Because this LA trip was so hastily put together, I flew out of Long Beach, which is a timewarp to the old tiny airports of the past. Think CATCH ME IF YOU CAN with high tech security and you get what I’m saying. Even had to walk out to the tarmac to get on the plane. LOVE that (see previous Iceland/UK 2001 photos). Flying Jet Blue for the first time. It’s quite humourous. They have Direct TV on the flight, with about 15 channels. Of course one of them has to be VH1 Classics and I am immediately drawn to the Power Station’s SOME LIKE IT HOT. Speaking of which…

I’m obviously doing something right as the Durans have decided to play a club show at Webster Hall, which is 7 blocks away from us. And when are they playing? August 27th, my birthday. Now all I need are tickets.

Agent/Lawyer/Advisor and I went to check out 16 Volt the other night in LA. Well, we tried to. Because she was late to dinner, thus making me and former aggression vocalist turned important screenwriter wait forever to eat, we showed up at the venue at about 9:45. Eric Volt was kind of enough to guest list me, and his website and the ticketmaster site said “9pm” on it, so we expected to sit through some opening acts. At the door, the start times were listed and it read “16Volt 9:00-9:35” (or something like that). Um, WHAT? Who the hell actually performs on time on this planet and who makes tickets to a show available via ticketmaster for a band that is only going to play for 35 minutes? I can only assume this was a label showcase thing. So, sadly, no Volt. We then saw SWAT, which blows immensely. This was one of those days where you just couldn’t win. Two words: Los Angeles.

Some things l learned from the VH1 classics today. The 80’s BLOW and Madonna was a crap dancer. But Debbie Harry was AMAZING.

Ash has yet to deliver the mix of THEME FROM PROPAGANDA because of a pet related problem in his apartment. I am scared to ask for futher details, but the word “fleas” was used during a phone message. I spent a lot of time listening to the other current demos and remain quite happy.

I’m too tired and frazzled to think about anything other than being home, having a nice meal with the lovely S.O. and getting back into the PS2 Indiana Jones. I’ve missed some wrestling too. (it’s a shame that 20 minutes after I typed this, the power went out in the northeast, WHILE I was in the air…that’s a whole other story for another time)


F

No comments: