6.8.09

Fuck Continuity

Hello from New York. Where we last left off, I was in Los Angeles where I stayed much longer than anticipated. This past Saturday, I raced back on a red eye to see my wife and Depeche Mode. Married life? Remind me...I know I'm married, I remember getting married, but I don't recall being allowed to enjoy it! However, I think the Mrs liked having the place to herself for a bit. I realize now I have to treat this blog like I do comics, without any chronological sense or understanding of the past. Basically, Fuck Continuity...

This was my longest non-shooting related stretch away from New York I think ever. It was a constant routine of WAKEUPWALKDOGMEETINGMEETINGMEETINGANOTHERMEETINGEATMEETINGMEETINGMEETINGWALKDOGHANGOUTWITHLOCALWLDRABBITSLEEP. I had one day off and slept in a bed once in San Diego. However, I did get a lot of quality time with some good folks and animals. I love Vikki's dog, Emmy, and we became BFF. At nights we would visit the local rabbit, which was always fun. The weather was, you know, LA, hot as fuck during the day but nice at night (better than NYC I'm told!). I was racing all day every day and passing out early every night and waking up every morning with kisses from a puppy. I ate (TWO Cabrea trips! 5 In and Out trips, and ye, I bought some home) but didn't exercise nearly enough as I want to and I feel like an entire year of exercising was like destroyed in three weeks. I'm probably overreacting, but you know...

This is where I gotta declare the awesomeness of Vikki, who has become the #1 supporter of all things F in LA. She houses me, she feeds me, and deals with my constant ball busting and general wise assness. In return, I watched the entire first season of the original MIAMI VICE with her, which brought daily joy. Noticed that everyone wore a gold chain back then. She let me walk the dog, which of course, I loved. So big public thanks to Vik who is unfortunately going to have to deal with my annoying ass for the forseeable future. Unless I get a place in LA. But let's not jump ahead.

Vik and I got to hang out with Carrie and Sarrsgard at the ORPHAN premiere. It was hilariously good and not what I expected. I never would have seen this movie otherwise, but honestly I'm glad we did. We went as an excuse to see the elusive Byalick and Vik was dying to try the restaurant the afterparty was being held at. Sarrsgard and I compared wedding notes while Vik ran into very old friends and then she made me stalk Robert Downey, which was silly, cause Byalick woulda introduced us. That man oozes charisma in a natural and unpretentious way. He's amazing. He basically IS Tony Stark.

While this is not chronological, I got to catch up with a lot of my LA friends. It was great to see Leo who, as I type is about to finish his contributions to the HF album this week. he just got engaged. Nice one. Spent some time with my mother in law, who fed me, of course, but then she hopped to the Canadia to hog her grandson, my best pally. I got a lot of Cramp time, which was awesome. both in LA and SD. We had some fine meals and beers. I'm so glad I've got friends like this in that damned city. But here is me and my newest friend, Baby Bea, daughter of the legendary HARBOUR:



San Diego was the centerpiece of the trip. It was nuts. Saw some awesome stuff, including the AVATAR footage, the entirety of DISTRICT 9 (which is now one of my fave movies this year), and the ultraviolent NINJA ASSASSIN, which I have some Korean pride for as Rain is the star, but the movie was just ok. However, fun all around. Except the TWILIGHT panel, which was annoying and silly, but hey.

Comic Con has become Sundance. I realized this while sitting at a table with Freddy Krueger and Vik and staring at agents who were eating and drinking for free on a hotel rooftop. This made me angry. Vik would say belligerent. The Kidd kindly pointed out to me that I too was eating and drinking for free and was in fact double fisting at that moment and I should shut the hell up. He was right.

Here, check this out, you can see me, Vik and maybe Hoffman at the Tron inspired Flynn's Arcade, which was part of the new TRON LEGACY viral campaign: http://www.joystiq.com/photos/comic-con-2009-flynns-arcade-2/2165879/ (THANKS EMILY)

Here's me and the Kidd at the ULTRAFUCKINGEXCLUSIVE (I just wanted to say that) Wrath of Con Party, drunk and ready to watch some wrestling (we accosted the Motor City Machine Guns after this)



This was the total highlight of the Con, lunch with Dave Filoni, the mastermind behind the entire STAR WARS CLONE WARS animated series. Here with my friend Jaime (who does the voice of the bounty under Aurra Singh on the show), Dave drew some sketches in my new ART OF CLONE WARS book. What a treat! He and his crew of Lucasladies are fucking top notch treated me, Kyle and other SW geeks with nothing but first class. They got us VIP into the SW Spectacular, and then we all got hammered later at the Wrath party. Awesome. This was the most surreal lunch ever as it started with Star Wars geeks and then morphed into lunch with the Dandy Warhols. Not kidding.

Anyway, it was great to get a lot of time with friends like Vik, The Kidd, Hoffman, Kitamura, Hans, BenDavid and Amanda, Mel, Jacks, Katz, Marc, Ric, and especially Kyle and Jaime who treated me like royalty. Also fun to meet a lot of new people like Dusty, Jamie, Meagan, Hank, Cindy, The Aspen crew, Daniels, the Machineguns, Jon, Jennifer, and a lot of others I can't think of at the moment.

Then it was back to LA for even more whirlwind adventures. I won't bore you with it all. I'm exhausted typing this. I'm sure I will remember more, but right now, I am sure this is more than enough to satisfy your desire for my written words.

Until next time...

F

No comments: