24.8.09

Waving Bye Bye

Plugging away here. Since my last message, it's been pretty much more of the same. Late nights at the studio, crooning. Got some parts knocked out. Tried to go a bit further on Friday night, but what I have learned is that I'm better earlier in the day at this singing business. However, the all Spanish language track OUR FAITH is finally done, and I even threw in some falsetto backing vocals, which I love doing. Still got some more to go, but some items have been checked off the list. It's now about placing little pieces of the place.

Meanwhile the artwork moves at a nice pace. My friend Stephen, from the band Great Tiger (http://www.myspace.com/wearegreattiger) is helping us out and rocking it. I wanted to give them a plug here. Hopefully I can snag a remix from them. They're young, hungry and nice guys. Playing soon.

Been getting some MOGpac social time as well. Had a lovely pre-studio dinner with the Mattagement where I downed pretzels, beers and Veal, which is tasty but not good for the frontman figure. Yesterday was my G day, as he and I went to see INGLORIOUS BASTERDS only to have the projector break 5 minutes into the goddamn movie. They couldn't fix it, so the showing was canceled! What the hell! The show after was already sold out so we were fucked and G has to live another day to see his new hero, BJ Novak. So G and I did what men do, we went to Ippudo, drank beer and ate pork buns and later watched Summerslam.

Saturday night, however, was the highlight. Thanks to Vikki, the Mrs and I went to the opening night of the final leg of the final Nine Inch Nails tour, which happened to take place at the teeny tiny (for them) Bowery Ballroom. If you follow this blog, over the last 4 years or so I have tracked Trent's resurrection and it's been nothing but surprise after surprise. Amazingly, this show was easily one of my top ten all time gigs and luckily none of my former or current bandmates were there because I think I was this close to being like LET'S GET THE BAND BACK TOGETHER CAUSE INDUSTRIAL ROCK IS AWESOME. That didn't happen, and I'm back to reality now, but this was one of those very very very special gigs that you take to the grave (relax, you goth). I seriously thought the building was going to collapse, the place was shaking. The musicianship was off the charts and it was great to see it and appreciate it that close up. I am stil shocked they fit in this venue! But what it was really about were the track choices.

Check out this setlist:

1. Somewhat Damaged
2. The Beginning Of The End
3. Last
4. The Collector
5. Discipline
6. March Of The Pigs
7. Something I Can Never Have
8. Reptile
9. Meet Your Master
10. Banged And Blown Through
11. Burn
12. Gave Up
13. La Mer
14. Non-Entity
15. Gone, Still
16. The Downward Spiral
17. Wish
18. Heresy
19. Survivalism
20. Down In It
21. Hurt
22. The Hand That Feeds
23. Head Like A Hole
Encore
24. Echoplex
25. The Good Soldier
26. Dead Souls
27. In This Twilight

I'll get some pix up soon. Now mind, you, the next night Matt saw them do The Downward Spiral in its entirety for the first and probably last time ever. Which is amazing. The other gigs will be entirely different. So I think this entire tour is going to be a win win for everyone who goes to these gigs because they ain't getting the same set twice. It's a culmination of having a great band, a super back catalogue, and a true understanding/rapport with your fanbase. Hopefully some of you will see this. I hope there is a DVD of it, though I heard the Webster douches wouldn't let them film. Livenation, genius a-holes.

Anyway, that's the latest. Hopefully you are watching HUNG, which is amazing. What a show. More soon.

F

1 comment:

mjg. said...

show.was.amazing.