24.6.07

K.A.C.

Ok, the last entry blows so let me write some more. I got back late Friday night/Saturday morning and was like a zombie. But thats what happens when you work nonstop all week and then double book breakfast before you fly. Anyhow, I tried to sleep in, but I had to meet up with Lurch and Evan to hit the NY Asian Film Festival to see Johnnie To's fucking amazing movie EXILED, which was reviewed rather favourably on this very blog late last year. This was the first opportunity to see it on the big screen and man am I glad we did. I already loved this movie, but seeing it on the big screen and watching Lurch pop like Brandt getting a peek down Nic offer's shorts was worth the price of admission. Watching this classic in a theatre made me realize how much I miss the old Chinatown movie theatres from back in the day. I had a whole new appreciation of the movie and seeing these HK flicks on DVD first is never going to be the same again. I think if I had seen it first this way it would have easily been my top movie last year. There's something to be said about seeing movies inside the cinema...

We had another movie to catch that night, so, after picking up the Editors album, Evan and I found Danny in Chinatown and then we Bo'd it up. But time was short, we had to get back to the very enjoyable new IFC theatre for more asianess. It was a nice night, we had some time, so we decided to walk. However, I learned something new about Danny Hamill: He hates Canal Street. Thus we had to walk back to the theatre while avoiding Canal, and thus the new phrase K.A.C.: KEEP AVOIDING CANAL. Who knew?

Anyway, we got to the theatre, and there was a long ass line. Well, it was the 15th Anniversary of John Woo's HARD BOILED we were there to see and thus the crowd is to expected. But they made us wait. A long time. I think by the time the movie started it was like an hour late. Observe these bored gentlemen:



So we got into the theatre and luckily got the same good seats we had earlier in the day. The Fest people did their pre movie raffles and sadly I didn't win under my assumed named, Caynal Hess. However, I did get a free Dragon Dynasty cap, which I will never wear, mostly cause I don't wear hats, but also because I asked Danny to hold onto onto it while I popped into the loo and the hat came back to me covered in melted chocolate because Danny still eats like a 4 year old. Thanks assclown. I mean this in good fun of course. Onto the movie, which Evan and Danny hadn't seen and I probably havent seen in a decade. The action is awesome, but the movie does NOT stand the test of time. History has not been kind to this film as it has THE KILLER and A BETTER TOMORROW (two superior Woo films, in my opinion). It was really cheesy and seemed a lot less cool then it did back then. Also, the 35mm print was fucking atrocious. I mean really bad. So with the shit print, the long wait, and the chocolate covered hat, this wasn't the experionce we had earlier in the day.

So now it was after 1am, I was heading home, only to find out my ladyfriend was at her bar with her people having a few drinkies and asked me to join. Which I did. Big time. Your hero got good and silly. Till the wee hours, till it was time for hot dogs. And then sweet sleep for many many hours. The longest in ages. Needed. Then food. Then wrestling.

And now, Dickie on Live from Abbey Road. Hilarious. Then its back to LA this week again. Oh I need to tell you that the new Interpol album is quite the pile of poop. However, unlike the last album, I like TWO songs on this one, as opposed to ONE on the last one. There's a formula, there's nothing beyond it and it is flat as fuck. I do want to love it, but compared to the Editors album, which has energy and life and much better tunes, this Interpol album sounds like boredom personified. Now I'll go listen to the awesome HF versions B sent me, cause THAT is where the hot shit is at. And then I'll check out the Andrea Corr album for Danny. Really.

F

No comments: